It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Cambodia and sex
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Cambodia's PM speaks out against anti-gay bias
11 December 2012

Hun Sen

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) -- Cambodia's prime minister urged the Southeast Asian nation's people on Tuesday not to discriminate against their gay countrymen.

Prime Minister Hun Sen spoke at a ceremony to hand land titles to villagers in southern Cambodia.

Gay rights is not a major issue in Cambodia, and Hun Sen seemed to have been inspired by discussions of the subject on International Human Rights Day on Monday, including on local television. Cambodian society, as in neighboring Thailand, is generally tolerant of homosexuality.

He said he had heard requests from gay Cambodians that they be able to enjoy the same rights and freedoms as others. "There are gays and lesbians in every country, so there should be no discrimination against them just because of their destiny," he said. In 2007, Hun Sen announced that he was disinheriting his adopted daughter because he was disappointed that she had taken a lesbian partner. However, he appealed to society to show respect for gay people, saying "Most of them are good people and are not doing alcohol, drugs or racing vehicles."

Former Cambodian King Norodom Sihanouk, who died in October, caused a stir in 2004 when he wrote on his website that he supported the right of gay couples to marry. Sihanouk said he was inspired to state his views after watching news reports about gay marriage in San Francisco. The late king said that as a "liberal democracy," Cambodia should allow "marriage between man and man ... or between woman and woman." "It's not their fault if God makes them born like that. ... Gays and lesbians would not exist if God did not create them," wrote Sihanouk, who abdicated in favor of his son later that year.

Same-sex civil unions are not legally recognized, but many marriages in Cambodia are common law rather than officially registered.

Source: AP.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Cambodia's virgin prostitutes: Sex traffickers and pimps target untouched girls thanks to spike in wealthy men willing to pay up to $3,000 to sleep with them
By Lucy Waterlow
5 November 2014

In the Cambodian capital of Phnom Penh, there exists a commodity that is worth more than gold - virginity.

Wealthy men will pay thousands to have sex with an innocent girl and, as a result, 'virgin trafficking' has become big business. But not every girl is trafficked. Many others sell their virginity because they are desperate for money - and then often fall into a life of prostitution.

Victim: Sukhon, 23, was forced to sell her virginity in order to pay for an operation that saved her father's life

Even though many of them do it to financially support their families, many are ostracised by their relatives and by the local community. Now the shocking story of Cambodia's virgin prostitutes is to feature in a new Jodie Marsh documentary which meets some of the victims.

Although her own career was built on selling sex as a glamour model, the 35-year-old says she is grateful she never had to do more than sell pictures of her body. 'Girls like Sukhon are forced to sell themselves for money time and time again,' she said. 'I have the choice to abstain from sex and I have realised what a huge privilege that is.'

23-year-old Sukhon lives in Cambodian capital Phnom Penh and now works as a prostitute after being forced to sell her virginity to pay for an operation that saved her ailing father's life.

Shocking statistics: Jodie travelled to Camodia where she learnt there are 50-70,000 sex workers 40 percent of them are under age

'I received the news that my father was ill back home,' she reveals. 'I had nowhere to go so I decided to sell my virginity. It was three years ago when I was 20 and I was paid $3,000 (£1,877) by a Chinese man. I was taken to a restaurant first and then a hotel. I was told to undress and take a shower. Afterwards I was told to keep my clothes off so I was covered only by a towel. 'I was shivering and didn't know what to do because I had already agreed to have sex.'

Tragically, as a result of what happened, Sukhon says she is no longer close to her family - even though she did it for them. 'I'm in pain because my family keeps their distance. It hurts me but I understand because they didn't ask me to sell my virginity, they didn't want me to do that.'

While Sukhon's father, who also appears in the documentary, says he is grateful that his daughter's sacrifice saved his life, he wishes there had been another way. He said after learning his daughter had sold her virginity, he felt 'anger, sadness and sorry as a parent but there was nothing I could do because it had already happened'. 'I love my daughter just like when she was born,' he added. 'I blame the mamasan [female pimp] and the situation that we are in.'

Mamasans, or female pimps, are a common sight in Cambodia and care little about the women they exploit. One, who appeared on camera but asked not to be named, revealed that there is nothing that cannot be arranged for paying clients. 'If a client wants to have sex, we'll arrange the girl for them,' she said. 'Also if the client has a special request and they want to sleep with a virgin I will find the girl for them. 'I get a commission from client and girl. Sometimes the girl is very grateful for my hard work so gives me extra money.'

She admits that her career does make her feel 'bad' but she does it for the money. 'Sometimes I don't feel good about selling a virgin but I just think about the money,' she explained. 'Sometimes as a mamasan I am hit or tortured by the client if I don't find them a girl. I do have morals and sometimes I feel bad for the girl. When I see the client walk away with the girl I think that I have become a very bad person.'

Sadly, sex trafficking and prostitution is booming in Cambodia, where an estimated 50,000 to 70,000 sex workers - 40 per cent of whom are under age - ply their trade.

One charity which is trying to do something to help the underage victims of sex trafficking is Childsafe, which operates safe houses in Phnom Penh. 'Lots of young girls gather here from Kampot Province and they don't know what the city is like,' explains Sunni, an aid worker at the charity. 'They are an easy target for criminals. You can spot vulnerable people simply by their facial expressions. They might look naive or sad with problems.'

But Sunni said working for the charity can be fraught with danger. 'I had a situation with a pimp when I tried to stop him taking a girl,' he recalled. 'The pimp was very angry and he threatened to shoot me. 'I was very fortunate as there was a lot of people from the charity here.'

But while Sunni is safe, for Cambodia's thousands of virgin prostitutes, their ordeal goes on.

Source: Daily Mail UK.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

Foreign tourists posing nude at temples infuriate Cambodians
By KRISTI EATON
27 February 2015

SIEM REAP, Cambodia (AP) -- Cambodia's most popular tourist attraction - the complex of ancient temples that includes Angkor Wat - is suffering from a form of overexposure: At least five foreign visitors have been arrested and deported this year for taking nude photos at the sacred sites.

Authorities have no tolerance for people stripping down at Angkor Archaeological Park, a sprawling, centuries-old UNESCO World Heritage Site that drew 2 million visitors last year. The incidents are also upsetting to ordinary Cambodians, for whom the Khmer-era complex holds enormous spiritual and historical significance.

"Angkor Wat is the most famous sacred ... temple in Cambodia, where everyone - not only tourists but also Cambodians themselves - has to pay respect," said Rattanak Te, an administrative assistant who lives in Phnom Penh, the capital. "It definitely upsets me and all Cambodians, because outsiders will think we - Cambodian people - are careless and do not take good care of this World Heritage (site) by allowing these tourists to do such an unacceptable act."

This month, guards arrested two American sisters after seeing them snap photos of each other's naked backsides in the temple of Preah Khan, said Kerya Chau Sun, spokeswoman for the Apsara Authority, which manages the temple complex in Siem Reap, in northwestern Cambodia. Lindsey Adams, 22, and Leslie Adams, 20, both of Prescott, Arizona, were each sentenced to a six-month suspended sentence, a fine of 1 million riel ($250), deportation and a four-year ban from the country.

In January, three French men in their 20s were deported after they were caught taking nude photographs at Angkor complex. Another photo showing a topless woman at the site has circulated on social media, but officials believe it is fake, according to Chau Sun. Three tourists were also caught riding a motorbike naked near Phnom Penh in January, according to local media. Reached via email, one of the Frenchmen, Rodolphe Fourgeot, said he did not want to talk about the case. He said it demonstrates "endemic corruption" in Cambodia but did not elaborate.

This year's incidents were not firsts for the Angkor temples, but Chau Sun said earlier attempts by tourists to get naked were thwarted. Signs at the temples and ticketing booths urge visitors to behave respectfully, and Chau Sun said the Apsara Authority plans to add posters warning them that taking nude photographs can lead to arrest and deportation. "As a Cambodian, I am hurt ... I think especially to the poor Cambodians saving to be able to come across the country to pray at Angkor," she said. "They don't understand why people could behave like that."

Angkor Archaeological Park is the biggest tourist draw for this Southeast Asian country, which still feels the effects of the Khmer Rouge, the fanatical communist regime behind a reign of terror that left an estimated 1.7 million people dead from 1975 to 1979.

The massive Angkor complex is in a sense a proud counterpoint to that painful legacy. It contains the remains of capitals of the Khmer Empire, which existed from the 9th to the 15th centuries and at its peak controlled most of Southeast Asia. For a time, Angkor was among the world's biggest cities. The temples are renowned for their architecture and art, with countless intricate carvings, including semi-nude spirits known as apsaras. Angkor Wat is the largest and best preserved of the structures.

The temples are much more than stone ruins for most Cambodians, said Trevor Sofield, a professor of Tourism at the University of Tasmania in Australia. They are places of Buddhist worship as well as a symbol of the Khmer heritage, he said. He added that the Apsara Authority and UNESCO should focus on educating the public about the living sacred nature of the site in addition to its historical characteristics.

Angkor is not the only world-renowned site that has had to deal with nude tourists. In 2014, officials at Peru's Machu Picchu said they were increasing surveillance after visitors were caught taking nude photographs or running through the ancient site naked. Amichay Rab, a 32-year-old accountant from Tel Aviv, Israel, was one of those tourists who posed in the buff. Rab documented his nude escapades while on a nine-month trip through Central and South America on his blog. Many of the photos were taken early in the morning before there were crowds, he said, and local residents often snapped the photos for him. "I was anxious sometimes but was never afraid (of) getting in trouble as I was very discreet," he said. "I was waiting for the right moment in order to avoid hurting someone's feelings."

Cambodian Mollyda Keo said people there recognize that different cultures and societies have differing views on the body and what is deemed acceptable. Cambodian women, for example, will only swim in a T-shirt and shorts but are used to seeing Western women in bikinis, she said. She said posing naked at the temples crosses the line. "I just feel they don't respect the culture," she said. "You come from another culture. You should respect ours."

Source: AP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:22 am 
Site Admin

Study Details KR Abuse of Transgender People
By George Wright and Sek Odom
March 3, 2015

Sou Sotheavy (Lauren Crothers/The Cambodia Daily)

Despite being born female in Takeo province’s Bati district, Sok Yun never felt like a girl growing up.

“I started living like a boy from the age of 8…. I wanted to be a strong man and do all the jobs that men would do, not a weak woman,” Mr. Yun said in an interview Monday.

Mr. Yun’s determination to live as a man became more precarious after the Khmer Rouge took control of the country in 1975. Under the regime, gender roles were clearly defined, and going against the grain could result in death. “When I used to wear trousers, the Khmer Rouge told me ‘no’ and tried to get me to wear a skirt. They warned me that if I did not follow their rules they would take me and kill me in the forest,” said Mr. Yun. Eventually Mr. Yun—who was punished with extra hard labor after refusing to marry a man— won over the Khmer Rouge overseeing his worksite, as they realized they could utilize his physical prowess when digging dams and moving earth.

Mr. Yun’s story is one of many documented in the first-ever in-depth study of the treatment of sexual minorities during the Khmer Rouge era, which was released Friday.

The study, carried out by Kasumi Nakagawa, a Japanese professor of gender studies at Pannasastra University in Phnom Penh, contains interviews with 48 lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, uncovering for the first time the sexual and emotional abuse inflicted on sexual minorities under the Pol Pot regime. All interviewees reported having to hide their sexuality for fear of being killed, while many said they were subjected to forced marriage, rape and sexual abuse by Khmer Rouge soldiers and officials. All gay men and most of the transgender women surveyed said they had experienced sexual violence.

One transgender woman from Battambang province recounted being raped by a local Khmer Rouge leader. “At first, when I was called [by him], I did not go. I was scared. But if I didn’t go, I would be killed,” she said. “Finally, KR said that he wanted to sleep with me. He directly said like that and then I did not say anything, I kept quiet…. Later on, he ordered me again to sleep with him. He called me to go to bed with him,” she said. The interviewee told how she fled her village once her abuser’s killing escalated, worried she would be next, only to be raped by another Khmer Rouge leader at her next location.

Another transgender woman—who was subjected to even more extreme abuse due to being a “new person” from Phnom Penh—explained in graphic detail how she lost consciousness and sustained internal injuries after being gang-raped. Seventeen transgender women in the study said they were forced into marriages against their will during the Khmer Rouge regime.

Ms. Nakagawa said last week she believed the higher levels of sexual violence perpetrated against gay and transgender women could be attributed to the definitions of “moral offenses” lined out by the communist party’s upper echelons. “One of the analyses is that in the KR time, it was a crime if a man abused a woman and everybody knew this,” Ms. Nakagawa said. “But several KR and non-KR thought that if they abuse men they will not be punished. It might be one of the driving factors that allows their sexual entitlement theory,” she added. “As far as I know in my research, no women were forced to do oral sex, but my research showed that gay men and transgender women were.”

Still, not all the transgender people interviewed in the study reported being singled out. Vann Sivanna, a transgender man, said that under the regime he had become close with Khmer Rouge soldiers and they had even protected him from being killed. “I don’t think they cared about my being transgender, they just wanted me to do everything I could for the organization,” Mr. Sivanna said in an interview last week. “There was one man in my commune who tried to be a woman, and they let him do woman’s jobs like washing the clothes,” he added.

Sou Sotheavy, a transgender rights activist, said she was raped by 14 Khmer Rouge soldiers during the regime and also performed sex acts in exchange for food. “When I was in one underground prison during the Khmer Rouge, soldiers would only give me pork and beef if I agreed to massage them and do sexual things for them,” she said. “At first, some of the other guards were not sure, but after the first guard, he told them it was like having sex with a woman.”

The 76-year-old was also interviewed as part of Ms. Nakagawa’s research and said she believed speaking about the horrors that much of the gay and transgender community were subjected to could act as a form of catharsis. “In the provinces especially, people that experienced the same as me can talk with each other, including experiences such as rape…this is helpful for us.”

Source: Cambodia Daily.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Cambodian PM to expel NGO over TV program on sex workers
1 August 2017

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) -- Cambodia's prime minister has ordered the ouster of an American-led Christian organization that seeks to rescue and rehabilitate women working in the sex trade, saying its comments in a TV report last week demeaned the country.

The report by CNN showed the head of the Agape International Mission, Don Brewster of Lincoln, California, describing child prostitution in the Svay Pak suburb of Phnom Penh. The report was a follow-up to a 2013 story on the same subject.

Prime Minister Hun Sen, speaking Tuesday at a graduation ceremony, singled out the program's reporting that Cambodian mothers sold their daughters into prostitution as particularly insulting, although the 2013 story by CNN had previously reported that. The new report also showed Brewster declaring that Svay Pak's child prostitution problem had improved.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Cambodia rescinds expulsion of US charity workers
By SOPHENG CHEANG
22 August 2017

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) -- Cambodia's prime minister said Tuesday he has rescinded his decision to expel an American-led Christian organization that seeks to rescue and rehabilitate women working in the sex trade, accepting its apology and explanation that it did not intend to demean Cambodians.

Prime Minister Hun Sen said the Roseville, California-based group, Agape International Missions, would be allowed to continue its normal operations and that he hoped the group had learned a lesson from the controversy.

Hun Sen ordered the group expelled three weeks ago after its personnel appeared in a CNN report about child prostitution in Cambodia. Hun Sen took offense that the report said Cambodian mothers sold their daughters into prostitution. He and other officials said the report should have noted that the women profiled were ethnic Vietnamese, rather than Cambodia's mainstream ethnic Khmer. Many Cambodians share a long-established prejudice against Vietnam, a much larger neighboring country that has traditionally been suspected of coveting Cambodian territory and resources. "This nation is not for insulting," Hun Sen said Tuesday at a forum for conservationists.

Agape International Missions, founded by Don Brewster and his wife Bridget, opened its first center for former child sex workers in 2006, according to the group's website. Brewster of Lincoln, California, described child prostitution in the Svay Pak suburb of Phnom Penh in the CNN story, which was a follow-up to a 2013 report on the same subject. The website says the group, also known as AIM, "has been granted unique permission by the Cambodian government to conduct investigations, perform raids, make arrests and rescue victims of sex trafficking alongside local government officials within the country of Cambodia."

On Monday, Brewster on behalf of AIM held a news conference at which he expressed his "heartfelt apology" for any offense the CNN report had caused and specifically for its identifying the women profiled as Cambodian. "Recently, myself and the NGO I led, Agape International Mission, were mistakenly accused of working with CNN to defame the integrity of Cambodian mothers and of not having programs to help the people of Cambodia. Both of these accusations are false," he said. "CNN identified the three girls as Cambodian when in fact they are ethnically Vietnamese. This misidentification was made even though I told CNN the girls were Vietnamese," he said in a statement.

CNN declined to comment on Tuesday's development. In a statement published by The Cambodia Daily after Hun Sen's original criticism of the program, CNN said it stood by its story, noting that its point was that progress had been made in combating child sex trafficking since its previous story.

Hun Sen originally lashed out at both AIM and CNN when he first denounced the broadcast, but on Tuesday pinned the blame on CNN. His original criticism of AIM had been harsh. Hun Sen said he "could not accept" the assertion that Cambodian mothers sold their daughters into prostitution. "My country is poor but you can't insult my people," he said. "This insult cannot be tolerated. No matter what it costs us, this organization has to leave Cambodia."