forum - business directory - image gallery

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Panama not amused by cross-dressing diplomat
28 March 2011

Italo Afu at Carnival

A Panamanian diplomat who donned a lace dress and with a banana in his bustline for carnival in Spain has offered to resign amid outrage at home over the gender bending display.

Italo Afu, Panama's consul in the Spanish Canary Islands, on Monday apologized profusely. "Given the distaste in Panama over my behavior, I have decided to offer the foreign ministry my resignation and they can make the decision they see as appropriate," Afu told Telemetro. "I do not want to harm anyone, much less my country," he said.

Officials in Panama, where the celebration is decidedly tamer than in the Canaries, were not amused. "He should not have done it," President Ricardo Martinelli said. "Couldn't he have dressed up like a pirate -- or a sailor -- or even Donald Duck?" asked a cross Foreign Minister Juan Carlos Varela.

Source: Breitbart.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Gay sex becomes legal in Panama
14th August 2008
by Rachel Charman

President Martin Torrijos Espino has decriminalised gay sex in Panama.

On 29th July, President Espino and Health Minister Rosario E. Turner signed a decree repealing a 1949 law that made gay sex an illegal offence that would incur a $500 (£266) fine or a prison sentence. The decriminalisation came after protests from gay equality group New Men and Women of Panama, the San Fransisco Bay Times reports.

The ban on gay sex was found to be inconsistent with international human rights treaties that Panama has signed, as well as the Panamanian Constitution. The law was also in conflict with the Health Ministry’s policy to ‘maintain respect for the sexual preferences of each person, without the existence of any type of discrimination’ in the administration of its sexually transmitted diseases programs.

Amnesty International states that there are currently 11 nations in Central America, South America and the Caribbean where homosexuality is illegal. Those countries are Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, and Trinidad and Tobago.

Source: PinkNews.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace