TalkAboutSexxx.com

Sex and sexuality news and information forum

forum - business directory - image gallery

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 661 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Oops, my bad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Chinese 'classical poem' was brothel ad

Science journal mistakenly uses flyer for Macau brothel to illustrate report on China

By Clifford Coonan in Beijing
Tuesday, 9 December 2008

The Chinese script on the journal cover, which was actually a brothel advert

A respected research institute wanted Chinese classical texts to adorn its journal, something beautiful and elegant, to illustrate a special report on China. Instead, it got a racy flyer extolling the lusty details of stripping housewives in a brothel.

Chinese characters look dramatic and beautiful, and have a powerful visual impact, but make sure you get the meaning of the characters straight before jumping right in.

There were red faces on the editorial board of one of Germany's top scientific institutions, the Max Planck Institute, after it ran the text of a handbill for a Macau strip club on the front page of its latest journal. Editors had hoped to find an elegant Chinese poem to grace the cover of a special issue, focusing on China, of the MaxPlanckForschung journal, but instead of poetry they ran a text effectively proclaiming "Hot Housewives in action!" on the front of the third-quarter edition. Their "enchanting and coquettish performance" was highly recommended.

The use of traditional Chinese characters and references to "the northern mainland" seem to indicate the text comes from Hong Kong or Macau, and it promises burlesque acts by pretty-as-jade housewives with hot bodies for the daytime visitor.

The Max Planck Institute was quick to acknowledge its error explaining that it had consulted a German sinologist prior to publication of the text. "To our sincere regret ... it has now emerged that the text contains deeper levels of meaning, which are not immediately accessible to a non-native speaker," the institute said in an apology. "By publishing this text we did in no way intend to cause any offence or embarrassment to our Chinese readers. "

But publication of the journal caused some anger among touchier internet users in China who felt the institute had done it on purpose to insult China, or that it was disrespectful to use Chinse as a decoration. But generally, the faux-pas sparked much amusement among Chinese readers.

On anti-cnn.com, a foreigner-baiting website set up after a commentator on the US broadcaster made anti-Chinese comments following the crackdown in Tibet in March, the reaction was mostly "evil fun". One wrote, "Next time, please find a smart Chinese graduate to check your translation", and another said they should try writing "I am illiterate".

The journal has since been updated online and its cover now carries the title of a book by the Swiss Jesuit, Johannes Schreck (1576—1630). The Jesuit text in question was "Illustrated Explanations of Strange Devices".

Chinese is a tonal language, which means words sounding the same can often have very different meanings depending on how they are spoken.

There are tales of drunken teenagers walking out of tattoo parlours with characters reading, "This is one ugly foreigner" or "A fool and his money are easily parted".

Another web-user wrote: "I recently met a German girl with a Chinese tattoo on her neck which in Chinese means 'prostitute'. I laughed so loud, I could hardly breathe."

Source: The Independent UK.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

Post subject: Re: Oops, my bad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Grandmother 'petrified' after being sent a police machine gun through the post

A grandmother was sent a machine gun intended for a police station through the post after an address mix-up.

By Lucy Cockcroft
10 December 2008

Catherine Roots had been expecting a horse harness in the post, instead she opened her package to find a Heckler & Koch black submachine gun. The package was delivered by a courier to Mrs Roots when it should have been sent to firearms officers at the nearby police headquarters. She called the station and two armed officers turned up and took it away.

Police later explained a gun supply company made a mistake with the postcode when they sent it to Dorset Police in Winfrith near Dorchester. Instead of writing down DT2 8DZ a clerk put Mrs Roots' postcode of DT2 8DT on the package.

Mrs Roots, who is aged in her 50s and runs a smallholding at Winfrith, said: "I was petrified and I didn't touch it — I didn't know if it would go off. "I couldn't believe my eyes. Later I found underneath it a letter addressed to the Dorset Police firearms unit with the correct address. If it had got into the wrong hands the consequences wouldn't bear thinking about. After I contacted the police two armed officers turned up and they were as shocked as I was."

Mrs Roots was later told the weapon was a realistic training gun that fires infra-red beams, not bullets. She said: "I'm told it had been converted to be used with a laser, but someone could probably convert it back."

Assistant Chief Constable Adrian Whiting, of Dorset Police, said: "Because this item isn't actually a firearm it is lawful for the company, the suppliers, to use a courier as they did. I hasten to add if it was a real firearm we would transport it by hand, making sure that no such error like this could occur."

Dorset Police is now seeking assurances from its unnamed supplier that such a mistake could never happen again.

Source: Telegraph UK.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

Toilet-maker pledges to repair smoking bidets
December 16, 2008

TOKYO (AP) — A Japanese toilet-maker pledged Tuesday to repair nearly 82,000 electric bidets after several units overheated and emitted smoke.

Inax Corp., Japan's second largest toilet-maker, made the announcement after receiving six reports that covers on toilets with electric bidets — sprays fitted at the back of the toilets — melted and began smoking, according to the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

No injuries were reported from the faulty DV-200 series, manufactured between March 2004 and June 2005, the ministry said in a statement, which urged owners to immediately pull the plug on the toilets.

Trickles of water leaked from the bidet pump, rusted the motors, and caused the malfunctions, the ministry said.

Inax apologized for the problem and offered free inspection and repairs for the 81,724 electric bidet toilets affected.

The company last month issued similar warnings to hundreds of thousands of people who purchased older-model toilets.

High-tech toilets fitted with warm water sprays and dryers are standard in Japanese homes. Luxury models come with an automatic lid, a massaging spray and a bowl deodorizer.

Source: Breitbart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Fast-food worker laughs, tells robber to get a job
December 17, 2008

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A San Antonio fast-food restaurant cashier laughed at a robbery suspect and told him to get a job if he wanted money during a failed holdup on Tuesday evening.

Police said the suspect approached the worker and demanded money, but the cashier laughed and apparently didn't realize the man was trying to hold up the place.

The suspect then allegedly pulled out a box cutter and demanded the cashier's wallet. The employee complied, but had no money in his billfold.

The suspect fled, but was caught by police who responded to the robbery call. San Antonio police said the suspect is expected to be charged with aggravated robbery.

___
Information from KSAT-TV: http://www.ksat.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Stupidest tax: Illegal drug tax (USA)

On January 1 2005, Tennessee joined 23 other states in imposing a tax for possession of illegal drugs. People who bought drugs had 48 hours to approach the Department of Revenue and pay tax. It was levied per gram - $3.50 for marijuana, $50 for cocaine, and $200 for meth and crack cocaine.

Drug buyers did not need to provide identification to pay the tax and it was illegal for revenue employees to report them. In just 18 months, Tennessee has collected nearly $2.7 million in revenue — although it is thought this came mainly from drug users who were arrested and found not to have paid the tax.

In July 2006, a judge decided the tax was unconstitutional and it was scrapped.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Michigan city bans being annoying in public
December 19, 2008

BRIGHTON, Mich. (AP) — Ticking someone off could get you a ticket in one Michigan city. The Brighton City Council on Thursday approved an ordinance allowing police in the Livingston County community to ticket and fine anyone who is annoying in public "by word of mouth, sign or motions."

The Livingston County Daily Press & Argus of Howell reports the measure is modeled on a similar ordinance in the Detroit suburb of Royal Oak.

A city attorney says there could be situations where the measure would violate freedom of speech, but that those cases will be reviewed by the city.

The ban takes effect Jan. 2.

Information from: Livingston County Daily Press & Argus, http://www.dailypressandargus.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:52 am 
Site Admin

"What are you doing here?": man asks wife at brothel
Wed Jan 9, 2008

WARSAW (Reuters) — A Polish man got the shock of his life when he visited a brothel and spotted his wife among the establishment's employees.

Polish tabloid Super Express said the woman had been making some extra money on the side while telling her husband she worked at a store in a nearby town.

"I was dumfounded. I thought I was dreaming," the husband told the newspaper on Wednesday.

The couple, married for 14 years, are now divorcing, the newspaper reported.

(Writing by Chris Borowski, Editing by Matthew Jones)

Source: Reuters

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, she could be asking him the same question, IMO.

:shock: :o :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

BBC reports theft of hamster five days earlier as breaking news

The BBC left itself open to ridicule after the theft of a hamster five days earlier was reported as breaking news.

16 January 2009

Lassie, a ginger and white hamster with a closed left eye, was stolen in her cage along with a computer games console, a television and a bottle of milk
Photo: GETTY

Louise Minchin, a presenter on BBC News, the rolling news channel, announced she had "breaking news", before disclosing that the creature had gone missing from a home in Worcestershire.

At the foot of the screen, a caption read: "HAMSTER THEFT - Pet stolen from a flat in Stourport-on-Severn. Lassie, a ginger and white hamster with a closed left eye, was stolen in her cage along with a computer games console, a television and a bottle of milk.

Police in West Mercia are looking for the pet and the other stolen goods. A spokesman said: "We are surprised this has become breaking news."

He added that the incident was not currently a priority as the force was dealing with the post office armed robbery in nearby Fairfield earlier this month, in which Craig Hodson-Walker, 29, died after being shot in the chest.

Nine people have been arrested over the incident, in which Mr Hodson-Walker's father, 56, was also shot in the leg. Defending the channel's decision to present a "lighter item" at the end of a bulletin, a BBC spokesman told the newspaper: "Louise Minchin was clearly joking when she referred to it as 'breaking news'."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:09 am 
Site Admin

Thief caught out giving policeman's address
Wed January 21, 2009

BERLIN (Reuters) — A German teen-ager caught shoplifting tried to dupe police by lying about where he lived -- but ended up in even more trouble when the address he gave turned out to be the home of an investigating officer.

The 18-year-old from Achim, a town of 30,000 in northern Germany, admitted he had lied when the officer explained that the address belonged to him, said police in nearby Verden.

"It was complete coincidence," said a police spokesman. "The thief gave that address because he'd once lived in the house. The policeman was the guy who moved in afterwards."

(Reporting by Dave Graham; editing by Elizabeth Piper)

Source: Reuters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

The Japanese have a unique way of using kanji — the Japanese characters that form the basis of the written language. In Chinese, each character has a fixed pronunciation, but in Japanese the same character can be read in as many as nine different ways, depending on how it is combined with other kanji to form words.

This can lead to humiliating mistakes. Most mistakes are at worst inconvenient, but some can be disastrous. The mother of all bloopers was perpetrated by a television announcer, who mispronounced Dankai no sedai (the baby boomer generation) as Dankon no sedai (the penis generation) -- "Bill Clinton is an outstanding member of the penis generation."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

:happy0192: :happy0065: :glamur:

Welllll... he is !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Cake wrecks !
Pictures: cakewrecks.blogspot.com

Cake Wrecks: when professional cakes go horribly, hilariously wrong

The customer presumably said: "Write 'Best wishes Suzanne'. Underneath that: 'We will miss you'"

Hilarity regularly ensues when the cake decorator misinterprets the customer's instructions

Well, it's what they asked for

The mother-to-be was having triplets, so the customer ordered a cake with "congratulations" written on it three times

This story clearly illustrates the problem with ordering over the phone:
[answering phone] "Cakey Cake Bakery, Jill speaking! How can I help you?"
"Hi, I need to order a cake for my boss. We have a photo of him playing golf that we'd like to put on it, though - can you do that?"
"Of course! Just bring the photo in on a USB drive and we'll print it out here."
"Great, I'll bring it by this afternoon."
Later...
"Hey, Jill, what am I putting on this cake?"
"Oh, check the counter; I left the jump drive out for you there."
[calling from the back room] "Really? This is what they want on the cake?"
"Yeah, the customer just brought it in."
"Okey dokey!"

"If your message is "Philip...Woohoo!", and you actually have to say the words "dot dot dot", be prepared for just about anything"

Marry Christnos? Same to you

Yes, let's!

"We'll wish you luck, but we don't have to be happy about it."

Sasha probably wasn't too happy when her colleagues gave her this

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:40 am 
Site Admin

German bank sends safe with thousands of euros inside to scrapyard

A German bank was more than reckless with its money when it mistakenly sent a safe containing 170, 000 euros in cash to be destroyed at a scrap yard, despite the world being mired in a deep financial crisis

30 January 2009

The careless incident occurred when an employee of the Berlin Postbank ordered the full safe to be scrapped during a branch office move but failed to check whether there was any money in it.

After realising the mistake, the bank made urgent inquires with the scrapping company but was told that the safe had already been destroyed — and officials subsequently wrote off the money believing it would never be found.

But workers at a steel plant in Henningsdorf near Berlin, where the safe ended up for scrapping, were astonished to see euro bills rain from the safe as it was being cut open. They immediately reported the case to the police, which briefly investigated believing the money was stolen as part of some elaborate scheme, but the bank later confirmed that it was a mere mistake on its behalf.

The money — or what remained from it — was returned to the bank.

"The bank had conducted all conceivable measures to get the money back, but the scrapping company said that the safe was already scrapped in a foreign country," Ralf Palm, spokesman for Postbank said.

"It was a case of sheer luck that the safe resurfaced in Henningsdorf."

No legal action will be taken against the employee who caused the confusion.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Porn interrupts Super Bowl TV coverage

Arizona fans tuning in for climax of American football season get 30-second view of Club Jenna cable channel

* Robert Booth
* guardian.co.uk, Monday 2 February 2009

The Pittsburgh Steelers (in white and yellow) and the Arizona Cardinals in action during Superbowl XLIII.
Photograph: Timothy A Clary/AFP/Getty Images

Since Janet Jackson's bejewelled right nipple popped out during the half-time show at the 2004 Super Bowl, the term "wardrobe malfunction" has become part of the rich history of American football's showpiece event.

Yesterday, as this year's clash between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Arizona Cardinals neared a thrilling climax, TV viewers in Tuscon, Arizona, witnessed an intimate exposure of a completely different order.

Shortly after 7.30pm, with less than three minutes to play in a tightly fought final, the Cardinals had taken the lead with a crucial touchdown. Fans watching in Arizona would have been forgiven for scenting a victory for their team against the odds. Then the pictures from Tampa disappeared.

Instead, viewers in the Tuscon area were astonished to see a woman unzipping a man's trousers to reveal "full male nudity" followed by what was described as "a graphic act" between the couple. Somehow, the feed from Super Bowl XLIII had been mixed up with a 30-second excerpt from Club Jenna, an adult cable TV channel featuring Jenna Jameson, one of America's most famous porn actresses.

"I just figured it was another commercial until I looked up," Cora King, of Marana, told the Arizona Daily Star newspaper. "Then he did his little dance with everything hanging out."

Another viewer, Jeanene Piek, said she was outraged that her granddaughter had seen the clip. "I was in a state of shock. I am totally disgusted," she said.

The Tucson-based KVOA-TV said it was "dismayed and disappointed" at the interruption, which affected viewers taking a cable feed from Comcast, a cable television company.

"KVOA will investigate what happened and make sure our viewers get answers," said the company president, Gary Nielsen. "When the NBC feed of the Super Bowl was transmitted from KVOA to local cable providers and through over-the-air antennas there was no pornographic material."

Once the pictures from the Super Bowl returned, Cardinals fans did not get the climax they were looking for. The Steelers pipped them 27-23, scoring with only 35 seconds left on the clock.

Source: Guardian UK.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 661 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next