forum - business directory - image gallery

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:40 am 
Site Admin

Rolf Harris guilty: The hypocrite who warned children about paedophiles
by Paul Peachey
Monday, 30 June 2014

Rolf Harris with his didgeridoo to promote a concert staged to raise money for research into cancer in children.
Keystone/Getty Images

Rolf Harris made a ground-breaking television film warning children about the tell-tale tactics of paedophiles some 15 years after he had started his string of attacks.

The performer had already abused at least three children, aged about seven, 13 and 16 before he claimed to have been inspired to make the 20-minute programme by a school performance he had seen in Canada in 1982, according to his collaborator on the project. "It is a problem which has reached horrendous proportions all over the world," said Harris in an interview the year after it was made. "It's been pushed under the carpet for too long and has to be brought out into the open in a major way."

The video – for education programmes in schools – used children from a stage school in painting a series of scenarios in which children could be exploited. It features a song, penned by an American children’s songwriter, sung by Harris with the refrain: “My body’s nobody’s body but mine, you run your own body, let me run mine”.

The film, made with advice of the NSPCC and aimed at children aged five to eight, features Harris talking with children about ‘yes’ and ‘no’ feelings and ends him singing with a group of children with adults and two police officers in the background. The film addresses attempted grooming by strangers as well as people that they know very well. “Everybody, that’s kids and grown-ups, they have a right to their own body don’t they?” he says in the programme. “Some people don’t act right with kids and they need help. You can’t protect them from trouble that they themselves have caused.”

Source: Independent UK.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:19 am 
Site Admin

Shia LaBeouf: I was raped during performance art project
by Ben Beaumont-Thomas
Friday, 28 November 2014

Actor Shia LaBeouf in New York this month. Photograph: Brendan Mcdermid/Reuters

The actor Shia LaBeouf has claimed a woman raped him during the performance of his one-man art piece #IAMSORRY earlier this year.

Speaking to Dazed magazine in an email interview, he wrote: “One woman who came with her boyfriend, who was outside the door when this happened, whipped my legs for 10 minutes and then stripped my clothing and proceeded to rape me.”

#IAMSORRY consisted of LaBeouf sitting silently with a paper bag on his head, bearing the legend “I am not famous anymore” – members of the public queued to be able to sit in front of him in the one-on-one piece. It ran for five days in February at a Los Angeles gallery.

LaBeouf said that news of the incident “travelled through the line” of people waiting, and reached LaBeouf’s girlfriend. “When she came in she asked for an explanation, and I couldn’t speak, so we both sat with this unexplained trauma silently. It was painful.”

The piece was part of a wider series of performance art events by the actor, triggered by what he calls a “genuine existential crisis” after he was accused of plagiarism when he lifted portions of a Daniel Clowes short story for a film he was working on. LaBeouf wrote streams of bizarre tweets, quoting notorious apologies from famous individuals, and hired a skywriting plane to etch an apology across the Los Angeles sky. He also wore a paper bag to the Berlin premiere of Lars Von Trier’s film Nymphomaniac, and said he would be retiring from all public life.

Shia LaBeouf at the premiere for Nymphomaniac. Photograph: AP

In the Dazed interview, LaBeouf seems to regret some of these responses, saying: “I am a deeply ironic, cynical person. I was raised on The Simpsons and South Park, it’s my default setting... [our generation] want to change things, we want to have hope, we just don’t know how or where to look.”
Advertisement

Of the assertion he would withdraw from public life, he explained: “The 80s and 90s fucked us; our culture became a product to be sold, and anyone in a tabloid is a product – an object. American culture is just about blowjobs and golf. I wanted to take back ownership. Fuck the money, that was never the impetus. I wanted purpose.” His initial cynicism dissipated, and he began performance art in earnest – projects included writing #STARTCREATING with further skywriters, and running 144 laps around an Amsterdam museum. Following the Dazed email interview, his and journalist Aimee Cliff’s face-to-face interview was conducted in silence, with each filming the other.

In the emails he also skirts further controversy in a discussion of masculinity centred around his current second world war film Fury. “Every primitive culture has a puberty ceremony where children become men. Jews still have it, but it’s all religious nostalgia,” he says. “I think the withholding of a puberty ceremony from young men in our society is a scheme which has been cunningly devised to make young men go to war.”

The actor is currently undergoing treatment for addiction, following his June arrest for disorderly conduct and harassment after he interrupted a performance of Cabaret with obscene language.

Source: Guardian UK.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Canadian ex-radio host charged with sexual assault
By ROB GILLIES
November 26, 2014

This Jan. 22, 2010 file photo shows Jian Ghomeshi in Toronto. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Chris Young, FIle)

TORONTO (AP) — Former Canadian Broadcasting Corp. radio host Jian Ghomesi was arrested Wednesday on sexual assault charges and ordered to live with his mother while the case that has rocked Canada's vaunted public broadcaster is heard.

Ghomeshi, 47, was charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcoming resistance by choking, Toronto police said in a statement.

The CBC fired Ghomeshi in October after media reports of sexual assault allegations against the star first emerged. Ghomeshi, the host of "Q," a popular radio show on culture that was heard on many public stations in the United States, has denied the allegations, saying he had consensual "rough sex" with women.

Ghomeshi, who first gained fame as a member of the 1990s satirical pop band Moxy Fruvous, was in court Wednesday in his first public appearance since the allegations surfaced. A justice of the peace granted him bail at $100,000 on condition he turn over his passport and live with his mother. He's due in court again on Jan. 8. A publication ban on details about the case has been imposed.

Ghomeshi's lawyer, Marie Henein, said told reporters outside the court room that he will be pleading not guilty and the allegations will be addressed fully in court. A somber Ghomeshi said nothing.

Jian Ghomeshi leaves court after being granted bail in Toronto on Wednesday, Nov.26, 2014. Ghomeshi, a prominent former Canadian Broadcast Corp. radio host, was charged with four counts of sexual assault. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Nathan Denette)

The CBC said Ghomeshi's firing was prompted by the emergence of "graphic" evidence that he had caused physical injury to a person.

Ghomeshi defended his actions in a 1,500-word statement on Facebook then, saying women consented to having "rough sex" with him and that he's the victim of a disgruntled ex-girlfriend. After the Toronto Star reported several more allegations days later, Ghomeshi posted that he would confront the accusations "directly," but wouldn't discuss them with the media.

Police urged in late October for other women to come forward and launched an investigation after nine women contacted various media sources to report incidents of assault and sexual assault involving Ghomeshi. One of the women who contacted police was actress Lucy DeCoutere, a star of the long-running TV and film series "Trailer Park Boys."

DeCoutere was the first woman to speak on the record about her allegations against Ghomeshi. DeCoutere said she went on a date with him and alleges that when they returned to his home, he pressed her up against a wall, choked her and slapped her across the face several times.

In a statement Wednesday, DeCoutere said the Ghomeshi scandal has led to "a major shift" in Canada's conversation about violence against women. "It has been an overwhelming and painful time for many people, including myself, but also very inspiring. I hope that victims' voices continue to be heard and that this is the start of a change that is so desperately needed," she said.

Author and lawyer Reva Seth became the second woman to go public, writing in the Huffington Post that Ghomeshi put his hands around her throat and sexually assaulted her, although it was not known if she was one of the women who filed a complaint to police.

After he was fired, Ghomeshi launched a $55-million lawsuit against the CBC for breach of confidence and defamation. He dropped that lawsuit Tuesday. A union grievance alleging dismissal without proper cause remains.

Source: Yahoo! AP.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:33 am 
Site Admin

Celebrity osteopath sentenced in France to 8 years for sex crimes
12 November 2015

Bobigny, France (AFP) - A French osteopath whose list of famous clients included Pablo Picasso and Rudolf Nureyev was on Thursday sentenced to eight years in jail on appeal for raping and sexually assaulting female patients.

Pierre Pallardy, known as France's "osteopath to the stars" has consistently denied the accusations, arguing that the plaintiffs had misinterpreted his "powerful" therapeutic methods, which he claimed could bring repressed memories of sexual violence to the surface. Pallardy was initially sentenced to 10 years in 2013 for committing the crimes against 12 patients.

In delivering its final ruling on appeal, the court confirmed that Pallardy was guilty of raping four patients and sexually assaulting three others, but he was acquitted of similar charges brought by the remaining five plaintiffs. The 74-year-old accused showed no emotion as the verdict was read out in court in the Paris suburb of Bobigny.

Prosecutors had sought a harsher 12-year sentence, arguing that the alternative medicine practitioner had used his position of authority to abuse women who were in a fragile state. After an initial complaint against him in 2004 that did not lead to a criminal case, Pallardy was arrested in 2006.

He has treated many of France's best-known figures using osteopathy, a practice involving the manipulation of muscles and bones to promote health. A regular on French television in the 1980s and 1990s and the author of several bestsellers on health and wellbeing, Pallardy and his wife Florence were once hailed by the French media as the country's "First Couple of Health". His wife told the court the charges were baseless as her husband had been impotent since 2003 because of a prostate problem.

Source: Yahoo! AFP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

victor wrote:
Canadian ex-radio host charged with sexual assault
By ROB GILLIES
November 26, 2014

This Jan. 22, 2010 file photo shows Jian Ghomeshi in Toronto. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Chris Young, FIle)

TORONTO (AP) — Former Canadian Broadcasting Corp. radio host Jian Ghomesi was arrested Wednesday on sexual assault charges and ordered to live with his mother while the case that has rocked Canada's vaunted public broadcaster is heard.

Ghomeshi, 47, was charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcoming resistance by choking, Toronto police said in a statement.

The CBC fired Ghomeshi in October after media reports of sexual assault allegations against the star first emerged. Ghomeshi, the host of "Q," a popular radio show on culture that was heard on many public stations in the United States, has denied the allegations, saying he had consensual "rough sex" with women.

Ghomeshi, who first gained fame as a member of the 1990s satirical pop band Moxy Fruvous, was in court Wednesday in his first public appearance since the allegations surfaced. A justice of the peace granted him bail at $100,000 on condition he turn over his passport and live with his mother. He's due in court again on Jan. 8. A publication ban on details about the case has been imposed.

Ghomeshi's lawyer, Marie Henein, said told reporters outside the court room that he will be pleading not guilty and the allegations will be addressed fully in court. A somber Ghomeshi said nothing.

Jian Ghomeshi leaves court after being granted bail in Toronto on Wednesday, Nov.26, 2014. Ghomeshi, a prominent former Canadian Broadcast Corp. radio host, was charged with four counts of sexual assault. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Nathan Denette)

The CBC said Ghomeshi's firing was prompted by the emergence of "graphic" evidence that he had caused physical injury to a person.

Ghomeshi defended his actions in a 1,500-word statement on Facebook then, saying women consented to having "rough sex" with him and that he's the victim of a disgruntled ex-girlfriend. After the Toronto Star reported several more allegations days later, Ghomeshi posted that he would confront the accusations "directly," but wouldn't discuss them with the media.

Police urged in late October for other women to come forward and launched an investigation after nine women contacted various media sources to report incidents of assault and sexual assault involving Ghomeshi. One of the women who contacted police was actress Lucy DeCoutere, a star of the long-running TV and film series "Trailer Park Boys."

DeCoutere was the first woman to speak on the record about her allegations against Ghomeshi. DeCoutere said she went on a date with him and alleges that when they returned to his home, he pressed her up against a wall, choked her and slapped her across the face several times.

In a statement Wednesday, DeCoutere said the Ghomeshi scandal has led to "a major shift" in Canada's conversation about violence against women. "It has been an overwhelming and painful time for many people, including myself, but also very inspiring. I hope that victims' voices continue to be heard and that this is the start of a change that is so desperately needed," she said.

Author and lawyer Reva Seth became the second woman to go public, writing in the Huffington Post that Ghomeshi put his hands around her throat and sexually assaulted her, although it was not known if she was one of the women who filed a complaint to police.

After he was fired, Ghomeshi launched a $55-million lawsuit against the CBC for breach of confidence and defamation. He dropped that lawsuit Tuesday. A union grievance alleging dismissal without proper cause remains.

Source: Yahoo! AP.

Former star CBC radio host acquitted of sexual assault
By ROB GILLIES
March 24, 2016

TORONTO (AP) -- A judge on Thursday found a former Canadian Broadcasting Corp. radio host not guilty of sexual assault in a case that sparked a nationwide conversation about consent and sexual harassment.

Jian Ghomeshi had faced four counts of sexual assault and one count of choking based on alleged incidents involving three women. He is the former host of "Q," a popular radio show on culture heard in Canada and on many U.S. public stations.

Justice William Horkins acquitted Ghomeshi on all charges, saying it is difficult to have trust in witnesses who selectively or deliberately suppress information. He said the three women were less than fully frank and forthcoming. "The harsh reality is that once a witness has shown to be deceptive and manipulative in giving their evidence, that witness can no longer expect the Court to consider them to be a trusted source of the truth," he said in his decision. He added the acquittal was not the same as asserting the events in question never happened.

Police launched an investigation in 2014 after more than 12 women contacted various media sources to allege that Ghomeshi had assaulted them. Ghomeshi, who first gained fame as a member of the 1990s satirical pop band Moxy Fruvous, defended himself in a 1,500-word statement on Facebook, saying women consented to having "rough sex" with him and that he was the victim of a disgruntled ex-girlfriend. The CBC fired him. He still faces another sex assault trial based on allegations from a fourth complainant in June. Ghomeshi and his lawyer declined to comment after the verdict.

Dozens of women gathered outside the courthouse to protest the verdict, some chanting, "Ghomeshi guilty." A topless protester jumped in front of the prosecutor while he was talking to the media and was arrested.

All three women made damaging revelations after the trial started. The first woman to testify in the trial, whose name is protected by a publication ban, acknowledged that she emailed Ghomeshi a bikini-clad picture of herself a year after he allegedly sexually assaulted her, pulling her hair and punching her in the head in 2003. She claimed on the witness stand to have forgotten about the email and another flirtatious email she sent a year after the incident. She never told police about the emails. The judge said she was deceptive. "It is clear that she deliberately breached her oath to tell the truth. Her value as a reliable witness is diminished accordingly," he said.

Television actress Lucy DeCoutere, the second woman to testify, acknowledged that she told Ghomeshi that she wanted to have sex with him a day after he allegedly choked and slapped her in 2003. She only did so after the defense provided email evidence. DeCoutere also acknowledged she sent Ghomeshi flowers days after the alleged assault. And in a handwritten love letter days later, she wrote: "I love your hands." DeCoutere, who waived her right to have her name not published, never told police about the love letter and testified that she didn't remember the emails. She also told police that she only saw Ghomeshi in passing afterward, but the defense proved otherwise. "It became clear at trial that Ms. DeCoutere very deliberately chose not to be completely honest with the police," the judge said. "The deliberate withholding of the information reflects very poorly on Ms. DeCoutere's trustworthiness as a witness."

The third witness in the case, whose name is protected by a publication ban, acknowledged that she deliberately misled police when she didn't tell them that she had engaged in some sexual activity with Ghomeshi after the alleged assault took place in 2003. The woman testified that she had trouble breathing after Ghomeshi put his hands around her neck as they were making out in a Toronto park. The judge said her decision to withhold the information "until the last minute prior to trial, greatly undermines the Court's confidence in her evidence."

Ghomeshi's lawyer later released a statement saying the verdict was just. "Notwithstanding the unprecedented scrutiny and pressure, the case was determined on the evidence heard in a court of law, " lawyer Marie Henein's statement said. "This has been a very long and exhausting 16 months for Mr. Ghomeshi. He will take time with his family and close friends to reflect and move forward from what can only be described as a profoundly difficult period in his life."

The CBC said in a statement that the charges in the trial were unrelated to their decision to fire Ghomeshi but noted that "based on the evidence that came to our attention, Mr. Ghomeshi's actions were not compatible with the values of the public broadcaster nor with our employee code of conduct. We stand by this decision."

Source: AP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Spacey under fire over teen 'sexual advance' claim
by Jennie MATTHEW
October 30, 2017

NEW YORK (AFP) - Coming out as gay, Kevin Spacey sparked a furious backlash Monday over accusations, in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, that he made sexual advances on a 14-year-old boy more than 30 years ago.

The 58-year-old stage and cinema actor, double Oscar winner and most recently star of the American version of "House of Cards" has been widely considered one of the finest actors of his generation with a glittering stable of career credits. But on Monday he came under a torrent of fire on social media over claims from fellow actor Anthony Rapp that he tried to molest him at a party 31 years ago while Rapp was a teenager, and was accused of trying to deflect the story by finally confirming what has been an open secret in Hollywood for years -- that he is gay.

Rapp, 46, told Buzzfeed that in 1986, while both he and Spacey were performing on Broadway, Spacey invited the then 14-year-old to a party at his New York home. Spacey would have been 26 at the time. Rapp said he was in Spacey's bedroom watching TV when Spacey, "kind of swaying" and apparently drunk, came in after all the other guests had left, picked him up, put him on the bed and lay on top of him. "He was trying to seduce me," Rapp told Buzzfeed. "I don't know if I would have used that language. But I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually."

Rapp said he squirmed away after a brief period of time and went into the bathroom. Shortly after, he left Spacey's apartment and went home.

Spacey responded within hours, posting on his Twitter account at midnight East Coast time that he was "beyond horrified" by Rapp's account. He claimed he did not remember the encounter but that "if I did behave... as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior."

He went on to say that Rapp's accusation "encouraged me to address other things about my life." "I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man. I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behavior."

The online backlash was swift from celebrities, commentators and members of the LGBT community. "Bye bye, Spacey goodbye, it's your turn to cry, that's why we've gotta say goodbye," tweeted Rose McGowan, one of the first actresses to accuse disgraced Hollywood producer Weinstein of rape.

"No no no no no! You do not get to 'choose' to hide under the rainbow!" said comedian and actress Wanda Sykes, who came out as lesbian in 2008. "Kevin Spacey has just invented something that has never existed before: a bad time to come out," said comedian, actor and television host Billy Eichner, calling his statement "truly disgusting, irresponsible and dangerous."

The lawyer, editor and activist Glenn Greenwald, best known for his reporting on US surveillance and whistleblower Edward Snowden, was also critical. "Kevin Spacey has immense wealth (and) fame, and yet never came out as a gay man until he needed a distraction from this story - (and) sympathy," said Greenwald, who is gay.

"Nope to Kevin Spacey's statement. Nope. There's no amount of drunk or closeted that excuses or explains away assaulting a 14-year-old child," tweeted advice columnist and LGBT activist Dan Savage.

Rapp, who is best known for being part of the original cast of hit Broadway musical "Rent," stressed that at the time a young teen going alone to a party at an adult actor's home was not considered a cause for concern. "It was a different era," he said, adding that he felt compelled to speak out after a recent deluge of accusations against Weinstein sparked an examination of abuses committed by powerful men in the entertainment industry. Accusing Spacey was "not to simply air a grievance," he said, "but to try to shine another light on the decades of behavior that have been allowed to continue because many people, including myself, being silent."

Since early October nearly 60 women, including actresses Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie, have accused Weinstein of misconduct including rape, sexual abuse and harassment. He denies non-consensual sex but his career is in tatters.

Source: AFP