TalkAboutSexxx.com

Sex and sexuality news and information forum

forum - business directory - image gallery

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Tattoo fetish
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:24 am 
Site Admin

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:35 am 
Site Admin

Tattoos are booming - and this year's look is naval retro
by Tracy McVeigh
Saturday, 28 September 2013

Religion is less than trendy, Celtic bands so passé and naked women a little gauche. The fashionable style for 2013, undoubtedly the year of the tattoo, is retro. Even a little bit rockabilly.

Anchors and ships, swallows and roses, Gypsy girl heads and 1950s pin-ups. The look is very much that which might have graced the biceps of tough postwar sailors who docked their tramp steamers in Pacific ports and drank rum all the way to the tattoo parlour.

We should have seen it coming when Kate Moss had an anchor inked on her wrist, but who knew tattoos had trends? It's all thanks to lasering apparently. Now you can wipe away, albeit at some pain and expense, an old tattoo there's room to update them, said Marcus Berriman, co-organiser of this weekend's London International Tattoo Convention, the biggest show of its kind, with 330 artists on site. Over three days 25,000 visitors are expected, many of them here to get tattoos.

"There's definitely a swing back to traditional, the fashion is the old US marine styles," said Berriman. "The thing is that tattooing is growing massively, and as it does, quality is too. The guys here would have been painters in days gone by, a lot of them have fine art backgrounds and they are expressing themselves on skin. "Nothing is forever in this world, and neither are tattoos. Many of these guys will have old tattoos lasered off to make room for new, reworked stuff. Taboos have gone, most people are fine with tattoos. You've got Beckham and other footballers, loads of actors, people are becoming aware now of quality and tattoo collectors are becoming more fussy."

It's no longer only about the tough masculinity of working-class men. Women are getting inked too – and becoming tattooists. Aimee Cornwell from Seaham, near Newcastle, is one. Aged 23, she is "chuffed to bits" to be asked to the convention, which is invite-only for artists. She learned the art from her dad, Mark: "I gave her the pen to put some dots in a flower I was doing one day, she must have been 13. It was clear she was a natural, she has surpassed me. I'm really proud of her, the whole family is. I became a professional in 1987 but the quality these days has got a hundredfold better, the bar just gets higher and higher., like an Olympic sport."

Mark gave Aimee her first tattoo, a traditional Gypsy lady on her thigh. "I'm having my back done by one of the Japanese tomorrow, I can't wait," she said. "The old-school sailor stuff and the Japanese are really in vogue now, because the lines are clear and sharp, so the tattoo will still look good in 20 years. "Realists are big too," she added, gesturing to the next stall, where the faces of Bob Marley and Bruce Lee can be pigmented. Mark tips off his fedora to reveal his florally adorned head: "I let her tattoo my head, as it was the only space. It was like getting stung by a million bees, hurt like hell."

Drawing a rose on 20-year-old Shannon Kelly's arm, Aimee says tattoos are becoming far more socially acceptable. "I do get comments. I was in a restaurant with a friend and there was a big family group at another table. The dad started swearing and saying really loudly that my tattoos were disgusting. I was really shocked, he had his kids there as well." Shannon Kelly's stepmother Lucy is in her forties and had her thigh inked the day before. "I love it. I think its completely acceptable now. A few years ago it wasn't but now really it's only if you have one on your neck or face that anyone thinks anything of it."

Among celebrities, too, women are as keen as the men. Rihanna, Scarlett Johansson and Cara Delevingne sport tattoos. Peaches Geldof is said to regret one of hers and Cheryl Cole's recent giant "roses on bum" caused national consternation.

"It's about 50/50 men and women who are getting tattoos and about 30% perhaps of tattooists are now women, some of the very best," said Miki Vialetto, co-organiser of the convention and publisher of the international magazine Tattoo Life, which appears in 48 countries. "London is the capital of Europe, so people can come here to find the best, from Japan or Brazil or wherever, without having to spend a fortune." It has its superstars. Ami James, an Israeli tattooist, is the celebrity of the conference after his US reality TV shows Miami Ink and New York Ink.

But quality has a price. Around the exhibition at London's Tobacco Dock, people in their pants or bare-chested are in clear pain. Emil Sarelind from Sweden is lying on his back, his head resting on a roll of kitchen paper wrapped in clingfilm, lip visibly trembling. Madrid artist Deno is oblivious to the grimacing, concentrating on needling a giant scaly fish into his chest.

A young French couple are sitting with New Zealander Brent McCown. All parties seems unperturbed that they cannot communicate before the man lies down to let McCown loose on the freshly shaved side of his head. "They just have to tell me what area of the body they want and I put on the design. There is a lot of trust, I guess, but that's exciting. If you worry too much than you will make mistakes," says McCown. He is part of another trend, one of a band of artists using the traditional hand method. He uses two sticks to deliver ink into the skin. "It's the Samoan and Maori way; some people don't like it, but I think it's less painful." The noise of stick hitting stick – tat-tat – is what gave the name tatua, or tattaw, a term brought to Europe in 1771 by Captain James Cook from Tahiti and New Zealand.

Vialetto thinks tattoos will only increase in popularity. "It's massive. Am I having one today? No. I'm full," he said, lifting up his T-shirt to reveal his adorned torso. "And I'm happy."

Source: Guardian UK.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Man whose gun tattoo was mistaken for a weapon woke up to find armed police on his driveway
by Kashmira Gander
Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Michael Smith, left, stands beside a Somerset County Sheriff deputy outside his home in Norridgewock, Maine. AP Photo/Morning Sentinel, David Leaming

A man in the US state of Maine woke up to find police officers armed with assault rifles in his driveway after his gun tattoo was mistaken for the real thing.

Michael Smith, who works night shifts, was woken up at around 10 am Tuesday by a tree crew sent to trim branches near some power lines outside his house. Disgruntled at being awoken, he went outside shirtless and yelled at the workers to leave.

Seeing Mr Smith’s life-size tattoo of a handgun on his stomach which is made to look like a weapon tucked into his waistband, the workers panicked and alerted the police. Minutes later, Mr Smith heard a second knock and opened his door to find Maine State Police officers outside, asking him via a megaphone to come out of his house.

A trooper points his rifle toward the home of Michael Smith in Norridgewock, Maine.

“I got plans today. I didn’t want to get shot,” Smith told the Morning Sentinel shortly after the scene was cleared by police.

“Obviously it was a misunderstanding and he didn’t have a weapon, but we had to respond to the initial report as if he did,” Maine State Police Trooper Scott Duff told the newspaper. “We take all precautions when we don’t have the details. “[The tree cutters] weren’t 100 percent sure what he was saying,” Duff said, “but he was yelling and they thought it could be some sort of a threat. They thought he was yelling something to the effect of doing harm, but when we got a hold of him, it ended up just being a tattoo.”

Duff added that he does not think Mr Smith went outside with his shirt off deliberately or to make it appear as though he had a gun and scare the workers. “I think he had been sleeping and was wearing pajama pants,” Duff added. “I’m not sure what his mindset was, but he wasn’t pointing to his gun or anything like that.”

Additional reporting by AP
Source: Independent UK.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

Sri Lanka to deport UK tourist with Buddha tattoo
23 April 2014

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) -- Sri Lankan authorities will deport a British tourist for having an image of Buddha tattooed on her arm, an official said Wednesday.

Police spokesman Ajith Rohana said Naomi Coleman was detained at Colombo's airport after she arrived from India on Monday when authorities spotted the tattoo of Buddha seated on a lotus flower. She was sent before a magistrate who ordered her deportation.

Rohana said that Coleman has been handed over to immigration authorities, who are taking steps to deport her. He said Coleman was arrested for "hurting others' religious feelings." Immigration officials did not answer calls seeking a comment. Coleman could not be reached and it wasn't clear if she was traveling with others.

Buddhism is Sri Lanka's state religion and plays an important part in political and social affairs. About 70 percent of Sri Lanka's 20 million people practice Buddhism. In 2010, Sri Lanka refused to give a visa to R&B star Akon over a music video in which scantily clad women dance in front of a Buddha statue. Akon expressed regret and said he was not previously aware of the statue in the video.

Source: AP.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:58 am 
Site Admin

Exhibition traces our love of tattoos from Neolithic age to today
by Kim Willsher
Saturday, 3 May 2014

Traditional Japanese tattoo Photograph: Martin Hladik/Tatttooinjapan.com for the Observer

PARIS -- Once considered the mark of an underclass of criminals, prostitutes, bikers, seafarers and those inhabiting the margins of society, the tattoo is now à la mode.

Samantha Cameron, the British prime minister's wife, has one – a dolphin just below the ankle; Charlize Theron has a fish on her leg and a flower on her foot; Angelina Jolie and David Beckham have too many to mention.

The fashion had its early exponents: George Orwell had bright blue knuckle spots; Teddy Roosevelt bore the family crest on his chest, and legend has it that after the battle of Hastings, Harold II's body was identifiable only by the tattoos over his heart of his wife's name, Edith, and the word England.

Even Winston Churchill's mother, Jennie, had a snake etched on her wrist (easily covered with a diamond bracelet), while Britain's wartime leader is reported to have had an anchor on his forearm. A new exhibition opening on Tuesday at Paris's museum of indigenous arts, the Musée du Quai Branly, explores the long history of tattooing and how it developed from a sign of exclusion and a representation of a crude but bold subculture into what curators says is a popular artistic movement.

It also explores its spread around the globe from Tahiti and the Maoris of New Zealand to Japan, China, the Americas and Europe. Today an estimated 20% of young French people and nearly 25% of American youngsters have tattoos.

The practice of marking human skin dates back well over 5,000 years, according to researchers, who say the remains of Otzi, the Neolithic iceman found in 1991 on a mountain between Austria and Italy, bore 57 markings, including a cross on the back of the left knee. Mummies found in Siberia and Egypt from more than 2,000 years ago were tattooed with animals and monsters. The Ainu, western Asian nomads, introduced the tradition to Japan. Tattoos were often more than just decoration. In Borneo, a woman's tattoo indicated her skill: if her symbol showed that she was a weaver, her status was increased.

The positioning of tattoos has also been important. Decorations around wrist and fingers were thought to ward off evil spirits and disease. Tattoos also signified membership of a tribe, clan or society. Danes, Saxons and Norse peoples tattooed their family crests, but after the Norman conquest it fell out of fashion.

The word tattoo, and wider interest in the practice, is attributed to the voyages of Captain James Cook in the late 1700s. His science officer and botanist, Sir Joseph Banks, who joined him on his first voyage on the Endeavour – to Brazil, Tahiti and Australia from 1768 to 1771 – returned to England with a tattoo. Banks, a respected member of the Lincolnshire landowning gentry, who attended both Harrow and Eton, was president of the Royal Society for more than 41 years and advised George III on the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew. In Polynesia, he observed natives using bone and shell cut into sharp teeth to penetrate the skin as part of their tatau, the Samoan word for mark.

Banks was puzzled by the custom. "Everyone is marked thus in different parts of his body accordingly maybe to his humour or different circumstances of his life," he wrote. "What can be sufficient inducement to suffer so much pain is difficult to say; not one Indian (though I have asked hundreds) would ever give me the least reason for it … possibly superstition may have something to do with it. Nothing else in my opinion could be a sufficient cause for so apparently absurd a custom."

Cook later brought back a tattooed South Sea islander known as Omai, who was paraded before King George. Many of Cook's crew returned with tattoos, and this sparked the tradition for European sailors, as well as the lower and criminal classes, to get them. In the early 19th century, it was estimated that 90% of Royal Navy sailors had a tattoo. A turtle signified that the sailor had crossed the equator, an anchor the Atlantic, a dragon that he had gone east.

Just a couple of years ago in Japan, the association of tattoos with the yakuza, or organised crime, led Osaka's mayor to require public sector employees to have tattoos removed or cover them with clothing.

Tattooing has not always been a matter of choice. In Russia under the tsars and later the Soviets, prisoners were marked according to their crime and sentence: SP for exile, K for forced labour, V on the forehead for vor (thief). The Nazis tattooed the arms of concentration camp inmates with a number.

The Paris exhibition is curated by journalists Anne & Julien (they never give their surnames), who edit the bilingual art revue Hey!, and who have spent more than 18 months pulling it together. The 300-plus exhibits include photographs, tools, skulls, statues and even pieces of human skin showing tattoos.

Artistic advice was given by France's tattooer-to-the-stars, a man called Tin-Tin, who counts Jean-Paul Gaultier, Marc Jacobs, Philippe Starck and Yannick Noah among his VIP clientele.

"Tattooing is part of the common heritage of most of humanity," Julien said. "We wanted to do this exhibition for a long time because we feel it's important to show that tattooing has a real history and is a pure product of humanity. There's not a place in the world where mankind has been that has not used tattooing … It's both artisan and artistic. In the past there was a fear of tattoos and people would hide them. Today attitudes have changed. People used to do it because they wanted to identify themselves as different to make a statement, but today it's become fashionable and the opposite holds true. People want to be different so they don't want tattoos."

The fashion is moving away from portraiture and symbolism to abstract designs. "It's an art movement that's developing and changing all the time," Julien said.

Tatoueurs, Tatoués runs from 6 May until 18 October

Source: The Observer UK.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Top 10 Tattoo Fails of 2014 and Beyond #10
3 January 2014

An Unhappy Man with a Spider Face Tattoo – photo from Imgur

Ever think about getting a tattoo?

While tattoos can be cool and daring, they can also be permanent and disturbing. Starting off this Top 10 Tattoo Fails list with a bang (or a bite rather), the man pictured above highlights his strong nasal features with a spider tattoo smack dab in the face. Not sure what would inspire such an outrageous tattoo? Well… neither are we. Even the guy doesn’t seem too happy with his tattoo choice in this photo.

This mechanical spider tattoo may one day be a source of regret. If there were ever a strong case for tattoo removal, this may be a great example. There are certainly some other people on this list who may want to consult a technician later about removal. While the idea of getting a tattoo is to make a permanent mark, some mistakes are still thankfully reversible.

Tattoos are said to be a type of addicting experience for many of those who choose to get the work done. Many people will continue to get tattoos until all of their desired space on their body is completely covered. Others just jump right to the visible areas, as if to make a statement about themselves. What do you suppose someone like this is trying to tell us about themselves?

Scary face arm tattoo

This scary tattoo will definitely stop traffic in its wake. While the point of a tattoo may be to bring attention and show off some creative artwork on one’s body, this tattoo takes it to a whole other level when all you can see is a scary and angry looking old man staring at you. Some people choose to get beautiful tattoos to highlight enjoyable moments in their lives, while other people inexplicably get tattoos of death and other morbid effigies.

This may be one tattoo that is hard to cover up later with other ink work, as this one is quite large. Most people would call this size of a tattoo a “half-sleeve”, but it’s looking more like a full face, and an ugly one at that. At least this guy had the sense to get this tattoo in a place that can be covered by regular clothing, unlike some other geniuses on our list.

Guy Has Realistic Pen Tattoo on His Head Near His Ear

Hey, can I borrow a pen? No you can’t because it’s just a crazy tattoo. As realistic as that pen looks, it is nothing more than an illusion. While the tattoo itself is done very well, you have to ask yourself: Who would want a pen on the side of their head? Perhaps this was this guy’s favorite brand of pen, or maybe he is always misplacing his pen.

Why someone would get a tattoo of such a cheap pen is beyond comprehension. There is some humor in the art, which does give it a purpose of sorts. Judging by the guy’s other visible tattoos on his neck, something makes you wonder if this will be the last tattoo he will get on his head…..it’s likely not. And let’s not forget the massively gauged ears that this guy also has. Body modification seems to this guy’s main source of entertainment and expression.

Monster Tattoo

Yet again, we have a tattoo that has the hallmark “regrettable tattoo” mantra going . If this man, should ever have a baby, and she asks him “daddy why does it say monster on your face,” he will have to come up with something that doesn’t force his daughter to have nightmares. Not too mention will Monster energy drinks even be around much longer? Their reputation for causing premature death in certain individuals has brought this brand some negative attention.

This guy didn’t just get one Monster tattoo, he got two. He got the Monster “M” logo tattooed right below his eye, as well as the fully spelled out name across his forehead. Not sure what kind of respect this type of tattoo would get you, and it is likely that the company will not pay him for the tattoo or the removal if he later decides that he wants to start drinking something else like plain Mountain Dew.

Arm portrait tattoo

While the end result got cleaned up in the end, the initial tattoo did not capture the beauty of the photograph. In fact, the tattoo came across as downright scary-looking. Thankfully, the man was able to find a more skilled tattoo artist who made the tattoo come out beautifully. This particular tattoo was the epitome of FAIL all across the internet for quite some time. The story behind the memorial tattoo is quite sad.

The guy wanted to get a tattoo to commemorate his deceased sister, but the original tattoo was shaded and lined in a fashion that gave her a morbid image. She looked more like a witch than the beautiful young woman she was. After facing ridicule online and in real life for a few years, the guy was able to meet up with a tattoo artist to get it redone. Not only was the tattoo successfully covered up and corrected, but the artist did the work for free. The end result is a more life-like and loving resemblance of his sister. Now the guy has some real work to be proud of, and a way to carry the memory of his sister with him long after her death.

Tramp stamp tattoo

Having two women permanently inked near your hoo-ha is every parent’s worst nightmare. Unfortunately, this girl seemed to have followed through with the idea. However, according to the post on Reddit, she later regretted it:

“After pleading with my daughter NOT to get this tattoo two years ago, she says to me today, ‘mom, I hate this tattoo. I should of listened to you!.’ Sometimes parents are smarter than kids give us credit for.” – ilovedaryldixon

These symbols are usually seen on bumper stickers or mud flaps, and are probably not meant to be tattooed on the female body. Not to mention the fact that a tramp stamp is supposed to be done on the lower back, and not directly above someone’s privates. These little vixens practically appear to be welcoming promiscuity, and might be attracting the wrong kind of attention for a woman with any level of self respect.

When your brain is telling you to “Git r done”, perhaps you should take a moment to re-think the situation and wonder if this is really something that you should get done.

Face tattoo fail

Getting a face tattoo can be a good idea, but it remains to be seen if getting a full tattoo on your forehead with the words “Mrs. Tattoo,” is the best look. While the design is nice, maybe placed in an area that can be covered is a better option for a tattoo of this magnitude. I see a lot of hats and long bangs in this woman’s future.

Perhaps this lady should meet up with Mr. Cool Ice who also got some regrettable titles tattooed onto their head. Some might probably say that this lady is less a “Mrs. Tattoo”, and maybe more like “Mrs. Bad Idea.” The baby gate in the background has you hoping that this married lady is not a mother with young impressionable children to look after. Sadly she probably has a lot of staying at home to do with her kids, which is exactly about as far as she should venture with such a bold statement plastered across her face.

The tattoo is almost so big and nasty that it almost makes you miss the tattoo that she has right next to her eye. Why stop here? She’s practically got this whole thing covered. Maybe someone should just donate some money to her so that she can get the rest of it filled in.

Arm pit tattoo

The placement of a tattoo can be just as important as the tattoo itself. Not sure why this girl felt the need to place a shark eating a terrifying baby in her armpit, but the result is definitely enough to put her at number three on Top 10 Tattoo Fails 2014 and Beyond. Maybe she thought it would be funny to look in the mirror and flap her arms up and down to watch tattoo of the shark chomping on the sad baby.

On a positive note, if she forgets to shave her armpit nobody would notice for quite some time. That’s hardly a reason to have this type of work done. Wouldn’t it be horribly ironic if she were to go swimming in the ocean and get her arm bit off by a shark. Perhaps then the tattoo would make a little more sense. In the meantime, you might even be wondering what kind of debauchery she has lying underneath her other armpit.

Beach Babe Bikini tattoo

Not sure what provoked this man to get this tattoo, but the result is pretty terrifying. Instead of this tattoo depicting a beach blond babe, it shows off a seemingly scary woman in a yellow bikini who has bad teeth, saggy boobs, and 80′s hair. And did you happen to notice that she is wearing a ring on every finger? I bet you didn’t.

This tattoo might have looked good back when it was originally done, and perhaps it has just aged realistically along with the woman that it depicts. She went from a blonde haired babe in a bikini to looking like a middle aged housewife with dirty roots, missing teeth, and more wedding rings than Michael Jordan and Joe Montana have championship rings. And is that a mole on his arm, or a deformed Playboy bunny tattoo on his tattoo’s belly? I am so confused right now.

No regrets tattoo

Regretting nothing might end up with you getting a tattoo that you will regret. Taking the top spot on the list is the “I Regret Nothing,” tattoo that features a cat with its tongue sticking out. Do you really regret nothing?

Source: American Live Wire.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Decoding Russian criminal tattoos
18 September 2014

From the 1960s to the 1980s, Arkady Bronnikov visited correctional facilities all over the Soviet Union and photographed thousands of tattooed inmates to decode their body art – and helped solve many crimes by identifying criminals based on their ink.

Here, you can learn what roses, snakes and cowboys really mean …
• Russian Criminal Tattoo Police Files is published by FUEL

The dollar bills, skyscrapers and machine gun with the initials ‘US’ stamped on it convey this inmate’s love for the American mafia-like lifestyle. The eyes mean ‘I’m watching over you’ (the other inmates).

This is a variation on the myth of Prometheus, who is chained to a rock in eternal punishment after tricking Zeus. The sailing ship means the bearer does not engage in normal work; he is a travelling thief who is prone to escape.

Monasteries, churches, cathedrals, the Virgin Mary, saints and angels on the chest or back display a devotion to thievery. Skulls indicate a conviction for murder. Coffins also represent murder; they are burying the victim.

Eight-pointed stars on the clavicles denote a high-ranking thief. A bow tie on the neck was often forcibly applied to pickpockets who had broken the thieves’ code and sided with the authorities. The dollar sign on the bow tie shows that this man is either a safe-cracker or money launderer.

A snake around the neck is a sign of drug addiction. These trousers are the uniform of the strictest type of prison regime in the Soviet Union. Criminals sent here are known as ‘osobo opasnim retsidivistom’ (especially dangerous recidivists), who have carried out grave offences such as murder or paedophilia. They are not subject to parole.

Epaulettes on the shoulders show a negative attitude to the system, and are worn by high-ranking criminals who often have a corresponding nickname such as ‘major’ or ‘colonel’. Epaulettes with three stars or skulls mean: ‘I am not a slave of the camps, no one can force me to work’; ‘The strong win – the weak die’ and ‘Horses die from work.’

On this Muslim prisoner’s stomach is a religious building with a crescent moon. The lighthouse on his right arm shows a desire for freedom – and each wrist manacle means he’s served a sentence of more than five years. The words on his arm read ‘Remember me, don’t forget me’ and ‘I waited 15 years for you’.

Eyes on the stomach denote homosexuality (the penis makes the ‘nose’ of the face). Stars on the shoulders show that an inmate is a criminal ‘authority’. The medals are awards that existed before the revolution and as such are signs of defiance towards the Soviet regime.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

The rose on this man’s chest means he turned 18 in prison. The ‘SOS’ on his right forearm either stands for ‘Spasite Ot Syda’ (Save me from judgment); ‘Spasayus Ot Sifilisa’ (Saved from syphilis); or ‘Suki Otnyali Svobodu’ (Bitches robbed my freedom).

The text on this man’s right arm reads ‘Save love, keep freedom’, his left arm reads ‘Sinner’, his chest reads ‘To each his own’ and the words underneath the skulls reads ‘God against everyone, everyone against God’. A gun-toting cowboy shows a thief that is prepared to take risks and exploit any opportunity.

The skull and crossbones show that a prisoner is serving a life sentence. The girl ‘catching’ her dress with a fishing line is commonly worn by rapists. The words above his waist reads ‘I fuck poverty and misfortune’. On his stomach is a version of Giorgione’s Judith (1504), a symbol of a seductive woman who betrays a noble man.

Nazi symbols can mean that an inmate has fascist sympathies, but more usually they are inked as a protest towards the prison or camp administration. During the Soviet period, the authorities removed these tattoos by force. A tattoo of a mermaid often indicates a sentence for child molestation.

The words on his arm reads ‘Thank you dear motherland for my ruined youth’. A dagger through the neck means that a criminal has committed murder in prison and is available to hire for further killing. The drops of blood can signify the number of murders committed.

The devils on the shoulders of this inmate show a hatred of authority. This type of tattoo is known as an oskal (grin), a baring of teeth towards the system. They are sometimes accompanied by anti-Soviet texts.

The Madonna and Child is a thieves’ talisman, acting as a guardian from misfortune and misery. It also means that the bearer has been a thief from an early age: ‘A child of prison’.

The double-headed eagle is a Russian state symbol that dates back to the 15th century. After the fall of Communism, it replaced the hammer and sickle as the Russian Federation’s coat of arms. This Soviet-era photo is a bold symbol of rage against the USSR; the Statue of Liberty implies a longing for freedom.

All photographs: Arkady Bronnikov/FUEL
Source: Guardian UK.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

Judi Dench honors Harvey Weinstein … with butt ‘tattoo’
By Emily Smith
November 4, 2014

Judi Dench and Harvey Weinstein Photo: FilmMagic ; Getty Images

Dame Judi Dench wasn’t shy about telling the crowd at the Britannia Awards in LA that she still has Harvey Weinstein’s name tattooed on her bottom.

The “James Bond” star said as a young actress she was told she’d never make it in films because “your face isn’t properly arranged.” Her big break came as Queen Victoria in 1997’s “Mrs. Brown.” Celebrating the film’s success at a lunch at Manhattan’s Four Seasons restaurant, she told Weinstein she “had his name tattooed on her bum because she owed her success in part to him.”

Harvey didn’t believe her, so she showed him (she’d had her makeup artist draw a Harvey tattoo). Sources said that at last year’s BAFTAs Harvey asked Judi if the tattoo was still there, so she flashed him in front of a stunned Oprah Winfrey.

Source: PageSix.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Who's a pretty boy then? Man cuts off his ears to look like a parrot
16 October 2015

Ted Richards, 56, has had both his ears removed by a surgeon in a six hour operation Photo: Dan Regan / SWNS.com

A man who had his face and eyeballs tattooed to look like his pet parrots has gone a step further - by cutting off his ears.

Ted Richards, 56, is obsessed by pets Ellie, Teaka, Timneh, Jake and Bubi and has his face tattooed with colourful feathers. But the animal lover - who has 110 tattoos, 50 piercings and a split tongue - has now had both his ears removed by a surgeon in a six hour operation.

Eccentric Mr Richards has given his severed ears to a friend who "will appreciate them" and is now planning to find a surgeon prepared to turn his nose into a beak. He said: "I think it looks really great. I love it. It's the best thing that has happened to me.

Ted Richards with his parrot Teaka Photo: SWNS

"I am so happy it's unreal, I can't stop looking in the mirror. I've done it because I want to look like my parrots as much as possible. I've had my hair long for so many years my ears have been covered up. I have to admit I did used to get teased at school about my ears but that not the reason I've had it done. The kids are running up to me and asking to see gory photos - they just love it. They are just so fascinated. I was really surprised - I thought they were more likely to run away."

Mr Richards, a retired shoe factory worker, got his first tattoo in 1976 and has since built up a collection covering almost his entire body. He also has a peace sign branded on his left shoulder with a 750 degrees centigrade hot iron and two magnets implanted in his hands. He shares his home in Hartcliffe, Bristol with his four parrots, as well as South American green iguana Iggy, and pitbull terrier Candy. He scours the internet looking for new procedures and says his facial transformation is a tribute to his "babies" - Ellie, a green winged macaw, and Teaka, a harlequin macaw.

Ted with his girlfriend Suzi Vincent Photo: SWNS

Mr Richards is keeping tight-lipped about who carried out the six hour operation, but insists he is "happier than ever," and has even now got himself a girlfriend, Suzannah, 31. Since undergoing the operation Mr Richards says the only issue he has is keeping his glasses in place - so he has had two small metal pins added to the side of his head.

He added: "I went to the supermarket the other day and when I went in I said 'blimey it's so windy out there it blew my ears off and everybody had a chuckle. There's no doubt that when they made me they broke the mould. But seriously, I love the fact that I'm unique and I have always wanted to be different."

The practice of removing someone's ears was historically done as an act of physical punishment in England called 'cropping.' Marc Pacifico, a consultant plastic surgeon and member of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, slammed the surgery. He said: "I am absolutely horrified to learn that someone has voluntarily put themselves forward for this to be done and possibly more so that he found somebody to actually carry it out. The sad truth of life though is that if you want something badly enough you will eventually find someone willing to do it. I would like to think whoever did this is not medically qualified because that would call into judgement their ethics and morals. As an accredited plastic surgeon you have to have a great sense of moral and ethical responsibility. I can only assume the ethical code and moral compass of whoever did this does not."

Source: Telegraph UK.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

Two tattoo shows in New York illustrate forgotten history of body art
February 20, 2017

New York (dpa) - New York City is considered to be one of the birthplaces of tattoos in their current fashion, a fact now underscored by two exhibitions on the centuries-old art form.

It was inventor Thomas Edison's electrical tattoo pen of 1876 that gave New York its preeminent position in the spread of tattoos. But before that, in 1859, a German immigrant named Martin Hildebrandt had opened the first modern tattoo studio on Manhattan Island. "It became apparent to us that modern tattooing really had its roots in New York," says Margaret Hofer, director of the New York Historical Society, venue of the just-opened exhibition "Tattooed New York." Of course, she adds, the traditions of the millenia-old practice of body art were to be found "everywhere in the world."

More than 250 exhibits are on view at the exhibition, including the Historical Society's own set of Four Indian Kings prints from 1710 as well as one of the earliest Western accounts, from 1706, of a Seneca warrior showing his tattoos and personal signature. The show also includes rare photographs documenting years when tattoos were banned and artwork by mainstream visual artists who tattooed in defiance of the ban.

Parallel to the show in the New York Historical Society there is an exhibition at the South Street Seaport Museum dedicated to the seafarer Augustus "Gus" Wagner (1872-1941), who perfect the art of tattooing on his voyages around the world. Wagner, who was tattooed all over except for his hands and feet, would use his own body as an exhibit and would tattoo others. He also gave lectures on the art form that had long been known to seafarers and practiced in distant cultures.

At the moment the museum is seeking donors so as to be able to make Wagner's 150-page book titled "Flashes" containing tattoo designs, notes and photographs more accessible to researchers and the general public.

Source: dpa