TalkAboutSexxx.com

Sex and sexuality news and information forum

forum - business directory - image gallery

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Vanity - are men more vain than women?
Men 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Men - because they need to compete 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Women 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Women - because they need to look good 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's about the same 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's got nothing to with gender, it's a personality trait 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Don't care 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Never thought about it 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, back to topic.

Are men, and that would be mostly straight men, but gay men also, under more pressure now than before to take better care of themselves? And I mean beyond the daily 5 minute shower with soap.

We got your metrosexual, which has now apparently become heteropolitan man (see main topic in this section) and many gay men have always taken good care of themselves so how much is enough?

Besides, is it wise to cater to men's vanity, aren't they, generally speaking, self-centered enough already? Do we really want men to be more vain?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:31 pm 
Night Stalker

i think there is defintely more pressure on men nowadays to take care of themselves. men are no longer the gift of god to women, women don't depend on men financially and therefore have been empowered to choose their mate. so, men have to copete a bit more....and women like clean, nice smelling men... :)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:06 pm 
Night Stalker

desertrat wrote:
i think there is defintely more pressure on men nowadays to take care of themselves. men are no longer the gift of god to women, women don't depend on men financially and therefore have been empowered to choose their mate. so, men have to copete a bit more....and women like clean, nice smelling men... :)

They're not? Try telling that to the local ringers around here, hon! :o When they come back from the stations they all think they're the best fuck in town. I wouldn't know of course, got the best already at home.
:-o :grin:

Now I don't mind when my man is a bit sweaty and smells like a hard days' work, but after the fun is over it's definitely the shower!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:13 am 
Tentative Sexplorer

India is a very male-oriented society where female foetuses are aborted at an alarming rate. Because of our traditions of dowry, it is the girls' family that has to pay it, female children have far less value than male children. There are many horror stories how families with sons have exploited other families with daughters for material gains. And with the Western ideal of equality between the sexes many traditional Indian groups, consisting of men of course, try very hard to halt this change in our society. It is not at all in their interest to promote equality between the sexes. It is okay for women to study, as I have, because that will increase her value for marriage, but it is not seen as an individual accomplishment but as a commodity to be traded. It is very unseeming for women to live professional lives and not be married. You are outcast, or worse, a lesbian if you do that. I had to work very hard to get what I want, raise children, keep my husband happy, and still pursue an academic programme. My ex husband was not very supportive. He felt it reflected badly on him that I studied rather than stay at home and be a good wife to him and a mother. That should have been all I ever desired in life. But I am a very stubborn person and I wanted more. Now that the children have lives of their own I filed for a divorce and it was very difficult to get it, it took more than 10 years as it is very unseeming for women to ask for divorce. But I have had enough of this pressure of being a woman how men want me to be. I want to be myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:12 am 
Night Stalker

That penis suit is something, Seb! Wow. I would never dare wear something like that. It's funny but you must be crazy to walk around like that!
:lol:

I think women are more vain than men, they're always fussing about their appearance and when they are convinced they are beautiful they're really very vain. Not my type of woman at all. I like it when they make an effort to look good, as I do, but I could never date some bubblehead for long.

Men are not so vain, I think. We're happy being clean and feeling good, I think that is more important.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:33 am 
Night Stalker

i think the female "vain-ness" is a result of centuries of "education" towards beauty as the only chance for a good life by marrying the best man possible. because, no, i don't think it is genetic in women to enjoy plucking hairs, shaving legs, dying hair etc. it is just what generations of women have been taught to do.

sheera, i really do understand your problem. i hope one day, the whole world will treat men and women equally, as individual persons who have a right to happiness.

a little off topic, but just because you mentioned that your husband wanted you to stay home...i saw this short clip from a german talkshow yesterday where a man was arguing that he wants his wife/ girlfriend to stay at home, do all the housework and make a comfortable home for him. the interesting thing was that i didn't so much get angry with him but with the women who all argued that they want to work and such. it was a bit like "please, let me....". i can't stand that. i'm not begging a man to treat me right. my question would have been: "honey, how much do you make a month ?" (he was a railway worker). and then: "and you really expect me to live with your pathetic little income while i can make double as much in MY job ?" :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, the guy's demographic says it all - limited education, limited mind set. But there are a lot of German women that see that kind of life as all they were meant for and he shouldn't have a problem finding one, especially if he is somewhat decent looking. Despite modernity much of German society is very much class-based, where the worker, and their mentality, are seen as noble and worthy of self-sacrifice.

I do agree with you in that everyone should live their own life and not base their value on that of what another thinks or expects of them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Vikings preferred male grooming to pillaging

The Vikings are traditionally known for leaving destruction in their wake as they travelled around Europe raping, pillaging and plundering.

By Jonathan Wynne-Jones
25 October 2008

The traditional view of the Vikings as "illiterate warring thugs" exaggerates considerably the reality of their life Photo: PA

But Cambridge University has launched a campaign to recast them as "new men" with an interest in grooming, fashion and poetry. Academics claim that the old stereotype is damaging, and want teenagers to be more appreciative of the Vikings' social and cultural impact on Britain. They say that the Norse explorers, far from being obsessed with fighting and drinking, were a largely-peaceful race who were even criticised for being too hygienic.

The university's department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic has published a guide revealing how much of the Vikings' history has been misrepresented. They did not, in fact, wear horned or winged helmets. And they appear to have been a vain race who were concerned about their appearance.

"It seems that the Vikings may not have been as hairy and dirty as is commonly imagined," the guide says. "A medieval chronicler, John of Wallingford, talking about the eleventh century, complained that the Danes were too clean - they combed their hair every day, washed every Saturday, and changed their clothes regularly."

The guide reveals that Norsemen were also stylish trend-setters: "Contemporaries who met individual Vikings were struck by the extreme bagginess of their trousers. "A tenth-century Persian explorer described trousers (of Vikings in Russia) that were made of one hundred cubits of material, and a number of runestones depict warriors with flared breeches."

The traditional view of the Vikings as "illiterate warring thugs" exaggerates considerably the reality of their life, the academics argue. "Although Norse men and women may have sometimes liked fighting and drinking, and were sometimes buried with weapons, they also spent much of their time in peaceful activities such as farming, building, writing and illustrating." The guide points out that the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, a contemporary list of notable events beginning in the ninth century and running through to the twelfth, records some battles, but not for every year. "Life can't have been as violent as we sometimes like to imagine," it adds.

Dr Elizabeth Rowe, a Viking expert and lecturer in Scandinavian mediaeval history at the university, said it was important that children should not picture the Norse warriors as an aggressive race, preoccupied with raping and looting. "Many British children are quite likely to have Viking ancestry and we want to make them think about the reality of their past," she said. "It's damaging to think that they were simply a violent society, and easy to undermine them as a people who have no redeeming qualities. The truth is that their culture was very artistic and they were keen to make an impression because they want to cultivate a certain look. They were very concerned about their appearance."

The first burial ground of Viking origin in Britain was located only four years ago. Discoveries at the site have challenged the romanticised picture of a noble savage race, perpetuated most famously in Wagner's operas and Hollywood films.

Archaeologists in Cumbria unearthed the remains of Viking men and women buried with copper brooches, jewellery, and riding gear as well as swords and spears. Dr Francis Pryor, an archaeologist and regular on the Channel Four series Time Team, said the discovery had shown the Norse warriors to be part of an advanced society. He said: "Far from the illiterate warring thugs in horned helmets who brought us to new depths of barbarism after landing by boat to sack monasteries and molest women, they were a settled and remarkably civilised people who integrated into community life and joined the property-owning classes."

Source: Telegraph UK.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Men smell of cheese; women smell of onion

Men smell of cheese while women smell of onions, new research claims, after tests were conducted on the two sexes' armpits.

By Chris Irvine
29 January 2009

Christian Starkenmann, who led the study, said: 'Men smell of cheese, and women of grapefruit or onion' Photo: GETTY

Scientists at Firmenich, a company in Geneva that researches flavours and smells for the food and perfume industry, took samples of armpit sweat from 24 men and 25 women after they had spent time in a sauna or 15 minutes on an exercise bike.

When the samples were analysed, the team found those from women contained high amounts of an odourless sulphur-containing compound, according to New Scientist magazine. When this mixed with bacteria usually found under the arm, it was transformed into a chemical called thiol, well known for its onion-like smell.

Men however sweat in a different way - scientists found high levels of an odourless fatty acid which released a cheesy smell when exposed to enzymes produced by bacteria in the armpits.

Christian Starkenmann, who led the study, said: "Men smell of cheese, and women of grapefruit or onion."

A team of independent testers recruited by the scientists also found the smell from women"s armpits was more unpleasant. It is thought the study could be used to develop deodorants aimed specifically at men or women. Not all scientists are convinced the experiment can be repeated outside Switzerland however as people have different diets and genes elsewhere in the world.

Professor Tim Jacob, who researches the science of smell at Cardiff University, said: "Other factors include what you eat, what you wash with, what you wear and what genes you inherit."

Last month it was reported that a woman can subconsciously tell when a man is sexually attracted to her by the smell of his sweat. According to researchers from Rice University in Texas, men sweat different according to what mood they are in and women"s brains can pick up if a man is interested in her.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know about women and onions but men definitely smell like cheese, and I don't mean their armpits...
:D :o :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:03 am 
Site Admin

From The Sunday Times
August 9, 2009
Airbrushing: a cheaper choice than cosmetic surgery

Image Image
Before airbrushing . . . and after airbrushing

By Maurice Chittenden

It's our own brush with perfection. Thousands of holidaymakers returning home this weekend will seek to improve their photographic souvenirs by enhancing their appearance.

It may mean slimming an expanding midriff, lengthening the legs or plumping up lips. All will be done at the click of an airbrush rather than the flick of a surgeon"s scalpel. Britain has become so vain that one high street photographic chain says it has seen a 550% increase in the past year in people requesting remedial work on their holiday snaps to make them look more attractive.

"It"s plastic surgery without the knife," said Snappy Snaps, which has 140 shops nationwide. "We can even put people on a beach in the Seychelles when they have had to stay at home instead."

The airbrush was once the preserve of film stars. Kate Winslet complained when she was airbrushed for a magazine cover to make her legs look longer and her figure slimmer, but Elizabeth Hurley is so used to having her bikini shots retouched that she admits every time she downloads her holiday snaps she goes over them with an airbrush.

Advances in technology mean it is now available to everyone. Crooked teeth can be straightened, brightened and whitened to create a pixelperfect smile. Dark shadows can be removed, wrinkles and frown lines eased and bodies can undergo a magical digital diet in which pounds disappear in seconds.

Sociologists believe the advent of networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace has raised people"s expectations of how they ought to appear in their holiday photos. Some are spending hundreds of pounds having photographs visually enhanced to make them look more attractive and their holiday more fun. They can pay high street firms £15 to do the changes for them, make alterations in booths at other high street shops or do it at home on their computer using trickery such as Adobe Photoshop.

Kodak has launched a £65 airbrush plug-in for computers which automatically smooths skin surfaces, while HP Photosmart has introduced a £200 "female friendly" camera which can reduce the dress size of its main subject when it takes a picture without any tell-tale change to the surroundings.

Erin Graham, 31, originally from Manchester but now a foreign exchange trader in the City of London, volunteered to have her holiday pictures from Morocco visually enhanced by Snappy Snaps. "I would enhance my boobs, flatten my stomach and remove my tattoo. Facially I would prefer whiter and more even teeth, a slimmer nose with the blemish underneath removed, less squinty eyes, a less flabby jaw line and a more even skin tone," she said. She was delighted with the results: "Wow, that looks a bit weird now, not like me. But yes, I like it; I like the bigger boobs best."

Pictures of Tony Archer, 40, a fitness instructor from Hertfordshire, his wife Sue, 39, and their daughter Ellie, 3, taken on holiday in Cornwall, also underwent our airbrush treatment. Sue Archer said: "If you could make my midriff a bit more svelte, it would be much appreciated, and swap my head with Liz Hurley"s, that would be even better. Could you turn Tony into a young Mel Gibson?" Ann Simpson, marketing director at Snappy Snaps, said: "We have seen a huge increase in requests for our airbrushing services this year. The obsession with all things celebrity means society is more accepting of techniques that improve appearance. Everyone wants to look their best. It"s not just celebrities that can enjoy the benefits of the airbrush."

David Lewis, a psychologist and the author of Loving and Loathing: the Enigma of Personal Attraction, said: "There are very few people who are not vain to some extent and we are increasingly using vision to estimate someone"s true worth. People are now acting as their own PR agents to put a spin on their looks.

"It"s usually harmless, but the problem can come when reality meets the image."

Source: The Sunday Times UK.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

May 11, 2010
You, too, can"t have a body like this

To get the abs, male models have to starve, binge, booze, suck sweets, slap on fake tan and be Photoshopped

Male model Daniel Martin

By Peta Bee

Daniel Martin regularly puts his body through hell. For days at a time he restricts fluid intake so severely that the resulting dehydration causes headaches, haziness and overwhelming fatigue. Having trained for weeks like an Olympian with high-intensity circuits, running and weightlifting, he then cuts out exercise for 48 hours and opens a bottle of red wine to drink alone. A six-day carbohydrate-depletion diet, in which he eats little more than chicken and broccoli, leaves his muscles weak and his brain so starved of glycogen, its source of fuel, that he feels dizzy and disorientated when he stands up. He can barely walk, let alone hit the gym. And the reason for this torturous ritual of self-deprivation? Martin is preparing to bare his abs in a photoshoot for the cover of one of Britain"s top-selling men"s magazines. At 33, Martin is a veteran of the fitness model circuit, his finely etched torso having gleamed from the pages of Men"s Health, the market leader, more often than that of any other cover model. He has the body and looks that epitomise what men (and women) have come to perceive as the pinnacle of masculine attractiveness. Part of the allure is that this Adonis-like beauty is seen as somehow attainable through hard work and a sensible diet. While female models are criticised for fuelling the rise in eating disorders by looking underweight, their male counterparts have largely escaped such adverse scrutiny. By and large, we have collectively assumed that those rippling abs represent the result of the kind of gym-dedication and healthy living that can only be admired. Behind the abs, though, is a far from wholesome reality.

Last week the male fashion industry was criticised when one mannequin manufacturer brought out a super-skinny model with highly defined abs and a tiny 27in waist. According to Beat, the eating disorders charity, such unattainable images pile on the pressure that can cause low self-esteem, body-image issues and eating disorders in vulnerable young men.

Yet Martin"s modelling career depends on the pursuit of that ideal. Two days before a photoshoot, he says, he begins to dehydrate by restricting the intake of water and other fluids to a minimum. After almost a week of carbohydrate avoidance, he also begins to "carbo-load" by eating pasta and sweet potatoes for 48 hours. "That forces the muscles to fill up with glycogen so they look bigger," he says. "Being dehydrated makes your skin shrink and become taut so that it sticks to the muscles and gives a dry, vascular appearance, making your veins stick out, which is what the magazines want."

Many male models drink alcohol — brandy and gin are favourites — to speed dehydration. "I open a bottle of red wine the night before, and on the morning of a photoshoot I have another glass of wine and some wine gums," Martin says. "The sugar in the sweets and the alcohol draw more water from the skin, leaving you looking as lean as possible."

Among models and many others in the industry, Martin says, there is an unspoken acknowledgement that the pre-shoot regimen is standard. "There is definitely a sense that magazines expect you to turn up dehydrated and dizzy," he says. "I"ve been on castings for fitness magazines where there are six or seven models who are so groggy and out of it that they need to grab a chair to sit down and literally can"t speak."

James Fricker, a 22-year-old sales executive from London who has also modelled for several magazines including Men"s Health, agrees that the expectation to arrive at a shoot in a hypoglycaemic haze is immense. "Everything you put in your body immediately before pictures are taken is aimed at making you look as lean and muscular as you can for the camera," he says. "Before a shoot I would often eat jelly beans, as the sugar improves blood flow and vascularity. Having your veins stand out is desirable because it makes you look as if you are in the best shape you can be."

Such techniques have been used by bodybuilders for years, and many claim that they are highly effective in achieving a temporarily "pumped up" appearance.

"Depleting carbohydrate in this way is a process known as "cutting"," says Dr Stewart Bruce-Low, a sports scientist who has researched strength-training approaches at Southampton Solent University. "Allegedly it helps the muscles to increase in size, as stores are replenished with carbohydrate two to four days before a competition. As every gram of carbohydrate, or glycogen, is stored in the body with around 3g of water, the likelihood is that muscle fibres would bulk up even more if someone was dehydrated, although no research has been conducted to prove this."

But taking the body to such extremes carries a risk. Lose as little as 2 per cent of body fluids after a workout and the result can be a drop in concentration and a rise in body temperature. More severe dehydration triggers electrolyte, or body salt, imbalances that can cause cramping, chills, nausea and clammy skin as well as putting a strain on overworked kidneys. There are potentially fatal consequences. "Any imbalances in sodium or potassium levels can cause heart arrhythmia," says Dr Martin Sellens, director of sports science at the University of Essex. "If fluid levels drop too low for too long, then potassium becomes concentrated and that can cause the heart to stop."

Bodybuilders have died as a result of self-imposed dehydration before a competition. "One man"s potassium levels had been raised by this kind of approach and when he ate bananas, which are rich in the mineral, as part of his carb-loading phase, it tipped the balance and caused heart failure," he says. "It can be highly dangerous."

Jon Lipsey, the editor of Men"s Fitness magazine, says that he is unaware of models going to such lengths to hone their physiques. "That"s just not how the people we use do things," he says. "Everyone who appears in our magazine is in very good shape — they train hard and pay attention to their diet to achieve that look, but not to that extreme."

Fricker says that tricks are sometimes used to create an unrealistic illusion of abdominal perfection. Last year, one publication featured him in an article entitled "Scrawny to Brawny" in which it was insinuated that readers could transform their bodies into something resembling his rock-hard physique in eight weeks. "But the "before" picture they showed of me was one from five years ago, not two months previously, so it was misleading," he says. "Quite often, "before" and "after" pictures are taken on the same day. Models are asked to slump their shoulders and un-tense their abs in the "before" shots, then art directors use lighting, better posture and Photoshop to get the "after" effect they want."

Fake tan is popular, as the darker skin tone achieved makes muscle definition more obvious, and photographers often ask models to perform what is known as "the coughing technique" — an action that increases tension in the abdominal muscles just as a picture is taken.

Yet the fitness gains are often aesthetic rather than functional, says Fricker. "I took part in a Men"s Health "survival of the fittest" event with four of their cover models who looked really fit but weren"t. "They finished at the back of the field, behind ordinary members of the public."

But the pursuit of that perfect six-pack shows no sign of slowing. Recent research by the Harley Medical Group, the largest cosmetic surgery chain in the UK, revealed that the number of men aged 35 and over choosing to have a tummy tuck has risen by 55 per cent so far this year, compared with 2009. And a University of Florida study suggested that changing perceptions of the ideal male physique have triggered a wave of body-image problems among men striving to achieve a muscular look. Professor Heather Hausenblas, the exercise psychologist who carried out the research, said: "If you look back at the ideal male body, 50 years ago it wasn"t this hyper-muscular physique that we see now," she says.

"We have seen a significant rise in the number of men who are dissatisfied with the way the look and want to be more muscular."

As long as we continue to buy into the dream that such bodies are attainable, cover models will flaunt their ripped midsections on magazines proffering the irresistible notion that chiselled abs are up for grabs. "But it"s impossible to look like that seven days a week, despite what the magazines try to tell you," says Martin. "We can"t achieve that look. Nobody can."

Source: Times Online UK.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

May 16, 2010
Put it away

Cover stars: Didier Drogba and Cristiano Ronaldo pose for Vanity Fair

By Shane Watson

Ellis Drummond is the 18-year-old who has just won the right to wear his trousers halfway down his thighs. The CPS had applied for Drummond to be given an Asbo, to protect the public from exposure to his underwear, but the teenager argued that this made no sense, and he has a point.

On the day he walked (or shuffled) out of court, he probably passed a newsstand displaying the latest issue of Vanity Fair, with Didier Drogba and Cristiano Ronaldo in lurid, figure-hugging briefs on the cover. In all fairness, you can"t tell a boy it"s bad to flash his shorts when the world"s most successful footballers are posing on the cover of a magazine in nothing but their budgie smugglers, looking as if they"ve won the title "God"s gift to womankind".

This kind of mixed message only adds to men"s confusion about what counts as good exposure and what makes us women wince. Now there"ll be blokes all over the country working out, stuffing their pouches, waxing their chests, adopting Ronaldo"s "Hello girls, meet little Ronaldo" pose in front of the mirror — convinced that this is what does it for the female sex. But women aren"t the page-three fan base: tops off in pants with knowing smile is the last thing that gets us going.

If they"d been in jeans, sleeves rolled up, working on a motorbike, that would be different. It"s simple: what we find sexy about men is the sum of their moving parts, not those specific parts. It"s not that we don"t want to know what"s down there — we"re just much more concerned with the grace and athleticism of the guy who is operating it. For us, sexy is an active, motion thing, combined with limited flesh exposure. We want to see the walk. We want to see the sweater come off over the head (and, maybe, the T-shirt riding up a little bit). We like to watch a man making light work of picking up something heavy, leaning over a pool table (ideally with a rest for a long shot) or straddling a motorbike. I happen to have a thing about men reversing cars, when they throw their arm across the back of the passenger seat and twist around to look through the rear window. And, so far, it"s always worked when they are fully clothed. Better still, though, is the sight of a man with nice hands and strong forearms getting to grips with the stopcock/shower head, or stuck in under the sink. And if this is starting to sound like a housewife"s fantasy entirely based on the performance of manual tasks, well, it"s not. The ultimate sexy is Barack Obama, sleeves rolled up, running the free world from Air Force One.

I don"t remember ever seeing so much as an inch of Obama"s chest, yet he is way sexier than that preening poseur Ronaldo. The same goes for George Clooney: occasionally, you get a glimpse of his semi-naked body, but you don"t particularly notice, because you"re already convinced from the way he moves in a suit — ditto Don Draper in Mad Men. And every so often, you can fancy David Beckham on the pitch, but never, ever oiled up for Armani.

So, put it away, guys, honestly, and just work on the moves.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:50 am 
Site Admin

The agony and the ecstasy
30 May 2010
by Nirpal Dhaliwal

Is waxing down under really worth it? As more and more men opt for bizarre downstairs topiary, our writer finds himself seduced

I have always been a pubic snob. Nothing delights me more than a fragrant, lovingly tended lady garden that invites one to linger for hours. Equally, I never hide my disappointment when presented not with a seductive purring kitten, but something wild and ugly that, frankly, I"d rather fend off with a stick.

Having now had my own bits"n"pieces waxed and bejewelled, however, I shall never again tolerate an unkempt hedge. That said, I also have a deeper respect for women in general, appreciating the pressure they"re under to be beautiful and the excruciating steps they take to achieve it.

I like to keep myself fairly tidy down there, passing my beard trimmer through whenever it gets out of hand. But with the recent revelation in the Manchester United official club magazine that a member of the team had burnt his baby-maker in a depilating accident (the finger was being pointed at Cristiano Ronaldo), I realised I wasn"t keeping to the latest standards of grooming. While gay men have always led the way in male vanity, straight ones are increasingly catching up. Emulating the six-packs, smooth chests and sexual technique of their online porn heroes, they now also want the bald look downstairs. Hirsuteness is no longer a sign of masculinity, but a mark of monogamy, proof you are out of the high-octane sexual loop that keeps young people working hard to be desirable.

"Lots of men shave their testicles," Suzanne Barker, of the Glamour spa at GL-14 health club, in Manchester, told me. (All sorts of football royalty go there, so she really ought to know.) "But it"s better to wax. It lasts longer and feels much more comfortable." I related to this, having once shaved myself out of boredom in adolescence, only to be tormented for weeks with a rough and itchy crotch.

So I agreed to head undergo a Bollywood waxing, a treatment the pioneers at the spa have brought to Britain, hoping to tap into men"s growing obsession with personal styling of all varieties. "It"s called that because of how Indian women prepare and decorate themselves for their wedding night," Barker explains, showing me a range of studded diamanté ornamentations.

For, while a Brazilian would leave my manhood topped with an elegant furry triangle, the Bollywood denudes it completely and adorns it with a sparkly design that looks like something you might see in the window of a sari shop. I opted for a pretty multicoloured butterfly. Well, why not?

My first ever waxing was, at times, a horror, incomparable to anything I"ve experienced in life. Each time Barker tore the hair from me, I gasped in shock. One small tuft proved particularly stubborn. Tears in my eyes, I pulled my willy as hard as possible, stretching the skin to make it easier for the hair to come away. When it did, in a yank that shook my very soul, the pain reached a level I hadn"t imagined possible. After that, anything was possible. Having my bum strip-waxed was almost pleasurable, like a series of saucy, stinging spanks.

Afterwards, Suzanne and I agreed the hairless little trooper looked rather cute with a diamanté butterfly glittering above him, appearing longer, thicker and more sensuous, too. The beauty of waxing is that the moment it ends, the pain is forgotten and you"re left excitedly enjoying your new creation — much like childbirth, I imagine.

Being completely smooth feels deliciously fresh, clean and sexy. It gives me the constant mischievous smirk of someone with a naughty little secret. Women intuit that I"m hiding something and ask me what I"ve been up to. When I did tell one friend, she simply had to see it, and then couldn"t keep herself from touching. Loving how it looked and felt, she resolved to persuade her boyfriend to have the same.

Knowing the first waxing is by far the most painful, I"m tempted to keep it up. And given how sensual my skin now is, I may even wax my whole body, imagining the exquisite sensation of making love with a soft, hairless body. Waxing has inspired a new level of eroticism I"m keen to explore.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Nicolas Sarkozy bans tall bodyguards

Tall security agents have been discreetly advised not to apply for a job guarding Nicolas Sarkozy, police sources have claimed.

By Henry Samuel in Paris
7 June 2010

Nicolas Sarkozy, left, speaks with International Monetary Fund head Dominique Strauss Kahn with his security close behind him Photo: AFP

The vertically challenged French president is said to have banned statuesque bodyguards despite their added value of being able to spot potential attackers in a crowd. A police source told Le Parisien that "there's no point recruiting supermen" as "large-sized" candidates stood little chance of being taken on.

The presidential guard, known by its acronym GSPR, has been beefed up from 50 to 80 men since 2002, when a mentally disturbed man managed to take a potshot at Jacques Chirac, Mr Sarkozy's predecessor, with his hunting rifle before being overpowered.

President Sarkozy is notoriously sensitive and secretive about his diminutive height of around 5ft 5 ins — making him shorter than Napoleon. He has gone out of his way not to stand small on the world stage or when next to his 5ft 10 ins former model wife, Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, who mostly wears flat pumps. Besides wearing specially-designed stacked shoes, Mr Sarkozy has been caught standing on tiptoes in global leader group shots and stood on a box to remain shoulder to shoulder with Barack Obama, the US President, when the pair gave speeches to commemorate the Normandy landings last year.

But his most controversial move to date on the height front was when his aides bussed in a group of factory workers last September who claimed they had been picked to appear alongside the French leader because they were short. The Elysée dismissed as "grotesque and absurd" reports that it had stage managed the visit to the Faurecia auto parts company in Normandy, despite the fact that staff confirmed they had been selected because they were "no bigger than the President".

But it only added fuel to the fire of satirists and cartoonists, who often depict Mr Sarkozy as a dwarf. In April, the Elysée cried foul after a German car hire firm launched a poster campaign urging customers to rent a small Citroen C3 hatchback, with the slogan, "Be like Madame Bruni, take a small French model". However, France's first couple chose not to press charges, reportedly for fear of boosting the firm's sales.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next