TalkAboutSexxx.com

Sex and sexuality news and information forum

forum - business directory - image gallery

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

One in 10 Church of England bishops 'could be secretly gay' – says bishop
By John Bingham
28 September 2014

The Rt Rev Alan Wilson, the Bishop of Buckingham

A serving bishop has issued a stinging public denunciation of “duplicity and hypocrisy” in the Church of England over homosexuality – claiming that around as one in 10 of his fellow bishops could be secretly gay but unwilling to speak publicly.

The Rt Rev Dr Alan Wilson, the Bishop of Buckingham, accused the current episcopate of preaching a 1950s “Janet and John” image of human relationships while adopting an “eyes wide shut” approach to homosexuality in its own ranks and the wider church.

His remarks come in a new book published next week setting out what he sees as the theological case for a major reassessment of the Church’s stance on sexuality. In comments bound to infuriate traditionalists he rejects outright the idea that the Bible forbids gay marriage insisting that the Church’s official teaching is largely based on “our grandparents’ cultural dictates” rather than the teaching of Jesus.

Dr Wilson also dismisses a recent order banning Anglican clergy from marrying their same-sex partners as unlawful despite what he calls as its “blustering menacing tone”. And he hits out at a “tiny clique of reactionary activists” who he says have effectively determined the Church’s position on the issue for decades and left it, in his opinion, out of touch with ordinary people. “To most English people under 40 a discussion of gay bishops or same-sex marriage feels as relevant and inviting as one about women being allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia,” he jokes.

The Church of England bans its clergy from taking part in same-sex marriage but permits them to be in civil partnerships – although they must claim to be celibate if they wish to become bishops.

But Dr Wilson effectively accuses the episcopate of applying double standards. The book entitled “More Perfect Union?” is the first to commit to print rumours that a significant number of the Church’s serving bishops are themselves in gay relationships. “Many who have publicly resisted same-sex marriage also have a dog in the fight arising from personal experience. This can arise from ambivalence or guilt about ways they have handled family members who have come out as gay, as well as their own sexualities. Particular attention sometimes falls on one vulnerable group with especially complex needs – gay Church of England bishops.”

Without naming any of his colleagues, he adds: “By 2014 there were said to be a dozen or so gay bishops. By definition, these men are outstanding priests who have managed to navigate the complexities of a structurally homophobic institution well enough to become its iconic representatives. They may well have a bigger investment than others in keeping the closet door tightly shut.” He goes on: “They have more on the line than some others. They also have greater status and security, but some of them may end up among the last people able to understand the need for change and bring it about. This can be expected to be the case especially for gay evangelical bishops, with their historically less well developed networks and support systems.”

He goes on to single out the treatment of Dr Jeffery John, the openly gay but celibate cleric who was forced to stand aside from becoming a bishop because of his sexuality, as a turning point which helped “draw the bars firmly back across the inside of the episcopal closet door”.

And he describes the tenure of Lord Williams, the former Archbishop of Canterbury, as a disappointment for those supporting a more liberal stance. “It was hoped his learning and leadership would enable the Church to make the same kind of forward progress as other English public institutions at the time – unfortunately, the institution ate the man for breakfast,” he writes.

Last night Dr Wilson said was preparing for a furious response from many in the church, in keeping with the reaction to previous remarks on his blog about the subject. “Initially you get an angry, hysterical response but it’s a bit like a baby burping up its dinner – once that’s gone there’s not much left and you can then have a reasonable discussion. I think I’ll get a range of responses – my favourite response to something I put on my blog was a bishop who said ‘of course I agree with the more progressive things you say but if I said that I would be crucified’. The answer to that, of course, is ‘well other people have been – it’s an occupational hazard.”

He added: “We are in a muddle and we really do need to engage with the problem for the sake of everyone. Jesus didn’t say anything about being gay, he did say an enormous amount about the professional guardians of the sacred who take themselves too seriously. I think we need to take note of that really.”

Source: Telegraph UK.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

Dublin priest comes out as gay at church, receives standing ovation
9 January 2015
By Joe Morgan

Father Martin Dolan came out to his parish at Mass. Photo via Twitter.

A Dublin priest decided to risk everything by choosing to come out in front of his congregation in order to fight for same-sex marriage.

But it was worth taking, for he received a standing ovation from his parishioners.

Father Martin Dolan, a priest at Church of St Nicholas of Myra in Dublin's city center, led Mass last weekend by calling on his flock to support same-sex marriage in the upcoming Irish referendum. 'I'm gay myself,' he revealed. At first there was a smattering of applause, and then his 'proud' parishioners stood up to clap at the bravery of his statement.

Liz O'Connor, a community youth worker, told the Irish Sun: 'We are all very proud of Martin. Because he has admitted that he is gay doesn’t change the person that he was before he said it.'

But not everyone was pleased by Dolan's coming out, with some suggesting he should be fired or moved from the church he has been at for 15 years. 'I wouldn’t like to see him being moved for the statement he made. That would be horrendous,' O'Connor added. 'He should be supported. He has done nothing wrong. If he’s moved, there would be uproar in this parish. He’s still the same man today. Martin has always been an advocate of people’s rights, and even spoke about the child abuse in the Church. There’s not many [priests] that would come out because they’re afraid of the bishops and that, but Martin is his own man. That’s what he believes in.'

The Dublin Archdiocese declined to comment until they had spoken directly to Dolan. In the polls leading up to May's referendum, they show over 70% of Irish people support gay marriage.

Source: GayStarNews.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Fire Department of New York to get 1st female, gay chaplain
March 3, 2015

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Fire Department of New York is swearing in its first female and first openly gay chaplain.

The Rev. Ann Kansfield is to be sworn in Tuesday. She'll be the department's eighth chaplain. Six are Christian and one is Jewish. She's a pastor at Greenpoint Reformed Church in Brooklyn.

The duties of FDNY chaplains include providing counseling to firefighters and department personnel and performing blessings and invocations. They work part time.

Kansfield tells The New York Times it would be great if she could be part of the effort to diversity the FDNY.

Information from: The New York Times
Source: AP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

US Reform Jewish rabbis install 1st openly lesbian leader
March 15, 2015
By RACHEL ZOLL

In this March 12, 2015 photo, Rabbi Denise Eger poses at Congregation Kol Ami, a Reform synagogue with gay and lesbian outreach programs, in West Hollywood, Calif.
(AP Photo/Nick Ut)

NEW YORK (AP) -- As a rabbinic student in 1980s New York, Denise Eger lived away from other seminarians.

She quietly started a group for fellow gay and lesbian students, but held the meetings in another borough. By the time of her ordination, she wasn't formally out, but her sexuality was known, and no one would hire her. Later, she took the only job offered, with a synagogue formed expressly as a religious refuge for gays.

Since then, the Reform Jewish movement - Eger's spiritual home since childhood - has traveled a long road toward recognizing and embracing same-sex relationships. That journey has led this week to Philadelphia, where Eger will be installed Monday as the first openly gay president of the Central Conference of American Rabbis, the rabbinical arm of Reform Judaism. "It really shows an arc of LGBT civil rights," Eger said in a phone interview ahead of the convention where she will take office. "I smile a lot - with a smile of incredulousness."

Eger, founding rabbi of Congregation Kol Ami in Los Angeles, isn't the first openly gay or lesbian clergyperson to lead an American rabbinic group. In 2007, the Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association chose Rabbi Toba Spitzer, a lesbian, as its national president. But Reform Jews, with 2,000 rabbis and 862 American congregations, comprise the largest movement in American Judaism and have a broader role in the Jewish world.

Reform Judaism was the earliest of the major Jewish movements to take formal steps toward recognizing same-sex relationships. In 1977, the Reform movement called for civil rights protections for gays. By 1996, Reform rabbis backed same-sex civil marriage. But as these positions developed, gays and lesbians had to grapple with the uncertainties of pursuing ordination at a time when they could easily be kicked out of seminary over their sexuality, or graduate without a congregation willing to hire them.

Eger, 55, began working in synagogues at age 12, in the mailroom of the Memphis, Tennessee, congregation her family attended. Around the same time, she realized she was a lesbian. By college, Eger knew she wanted to become a rabbi or cantor, even though she believed at the time that it meant she would have to sacrifice her hopes of having a spouse and children. "It was impossible to reconcile being a rabbi and being a gay person or a lesbian person," she said.

During seminary, she had a girlfriend, and said some people treated them as a couple. Some Reform synagogues had started outreach programs to gays and lesbians and one congregation, in San Francisco, had an openly gay rabbi. Still, around that time, Minnesota Rabbi Stacy Offner announced she was a lesbian, and was forced out of leadership at her Reform congregation. After Eger was ordained in 1988, she had only the one job offer.

She started the position with Beth Chayim Chadashim in Los Angeles amid the AIDS crisis. She said "standing over the graves of 28-year-olds and schlepping to the hospital five or six times a day" intensified her activism for gay rights. In 1990, she came out in a Los Angeles Times story, telling the newspaper gay and lesbian Jews need positive role models. "I took a great risk but I didn't feel I could be authentic anymore - watching young men all around me die and not tell," she said.

Over the next two decades, gay acceptance became the norm in most American Jewish groups. In 2006, the Conservative Jewish movement, which holds a middle ground between the liberal Reform and the strict Orthodox, lifted its ban on gay ordination. In 2012, Conservative Jewish scholars introduced a prayer service for same-sex weddings. Orthodox Jews have held to the teaching that same-sex relationships are forbidden; at the same time, more Orthodox gays and lesbians are coming out and seeking recognition.

Eger went on to hold several leadership positions within the Reform movement and in the Southern California Jewish community, and helped write the Reform Jewish prayer service for same-sex marriages. And, it turns out, she didn't have to give up having a family. The mother of a 21-year-old son, she is now engaged to be married. "It's about human rights and human dignity," Eger said. "If you can be a rabbi, if you can be a person of faith, if you can serve a community as their pastor, and you can have the opportunity to begin to reconcile all of those issues, it speaks volumes."

Source: AP.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Thailand to ban gays from monkhood
By Darren Wee
26 March 2015

Buddhist-majority Thailand has approved a bill that would ban LGBTI people from the entering the monkhood.

The junta cabinet approved the bill in August and is now preparing to submit it to the National Legislative Assembly. Religious authorities have unsuccessfully tried to propose the Bill to Patronize and Protect Buddhism since 2006 but previous military and civilian governments rejected the measure.

‘Buddhism is one of the pillars of the Thai nation and is the religion that most Thai people adhere to. Therefore, Buddhists should be united in patronizing and protecting Buddhism to make it prosper and enhance Buddhist principles and ethics to develop the quality of one’s life,’ it reads.

The bill would also allow the Sangha Supreme Council (SSC) and the government to punish anyone seen to threaten their narrowly defined version of Buddhism. This includes abbots who ordain, knowingly or unwittingly, monks with ‘deviant sexual behavior’ and ‘sexually deviant’ monks who ‘harm and disgrace’ Buddhism. Both could be imprisoned for up to one month.

Monks take a vow of celibacy and most choose to remain silent about their sexual orientation. But it is believed some high-ranking monks in the SSC are themselves openly gay.

Sulak Sivaraksa, a founding member of the International Network of Engaged Buddhists, said the bill 'shows blind stupidity and lust for power.' ‘It seems as if people who took part in writing this bill hold prejudiced views against people with alternative sexes and genders. This is a form of violence and a violation of human rights because naturally gender and sex can’t be straightforwardly defined as male and female.’ he told Prachatai.

‘Although the bill states that only monks with alternative sexes and genders who cause harm to Buddhism could be prosecuted, the bill does not mention what sort of actions constitutes harm to Buddhism. Since the wording of this section of the bill already discriminates against monks with alternative sexes and genders, its application will be very problematic.’

Source: GayStarNews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Archbishop removes parish priest on gay sexual misconduct
7 April 2015

Taranto, Italy (ANSA) - Taranto Archbishop Monsignor Filippo Santoro has removed a parish priest from his post after another priest reported him for alleged online sexual harassment, local media reported Tuesday.

The alleged victim reportedly accused the alleged perpetrator of bombarding him with online requests for sex. The matter has been referred to an ecclesiastical tribunal, local media said.

Source: ANSA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Vatican fires gay priest on eve of synod
By NICOLE WINFIELD and PIETRO DeCRISTOFARO
3 October 2015

Monsignor Krzysztof Charamsa, left, and his boyfriend Eduard, surname not given, pose for a photo as they leave a restaurant after a news conference in downtown Rome, Saturday Oct. 3, 2015. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

VATICAN CITY (AP) -- The Vatican on Saturday fired a monsignor who came out as gay on the eve of a big meeting of the world's bishops to discuss church outreach to gays, divorcees and more traditional Catholic families.

The Vatican took action after Krzysztof Charamsa, a mid-level official in its doctrine office, came out in newspaper interviews in Italy and Poland saying he was happy and proud to be a gay priest, and that he was in love with a man whom he identified as his boyfriend. "The decision to make such a pointed statement on the eve of the opening of the synod appears very serious and irresponsible, since it aims to subject the synod assembly to undue media pressure," the Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said in a statement.

As a result, Charamsa could no longer work at the Vatican or its pontifical universities, he said. Despite his dismissal, Charamsa remains a priest, although Lombardi hinted that his superiors could take further action.

Charamsa, 43, initially planned a press conference in front of the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith's office, but moved it to central Rome after the Vatican action. He was joined by his companion, identified only as Eduard.

Charamsa told reporters that the timing of his disclosure was not related to the bishops meeting on the family, but said he hoped it might add "a Christian voice" to the synod that is expected to address how the Church can better minister to the homosexual faithful. "I came out. This is a very personal, difficult and tough decision in the Catholic church's homophobic world," Charamsa said, and asked people to bear this in mind. He said he has written a book in Italian and Polish to "lay bare" his experience "in front of all those who want to confront me."

Charamsa told the Polish daily Gazeta Wyborcza that he was motivated to make his sexual orientation public by hate mail that he received after publicly criticizing a right-wing Polish priest who is strongly anti-gay in the Catholic weekly Tygodnik Powszechny. "I have to say who I am. I am a gay priest. I am a happy and proud gay priest," he told Gazeta Wyborcza.

Vanessa Gera in Warsaw and Colleen Barry in Milan contributed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:52 am 
Site Admin

Booted out Vatican insider: More than 50% of priests are gay
6 October 2015
by Stefanie Gerdes

Openly gay Vatican theologist David Berger says being gay is an important apparatus of power inside the papal state
David Berger worked in the Vatican until he came out as gay.
Facebook / David Berger

Employing gay priests ‘works exceptionally well’ for the Catholic Church, a German theologist has said.

David Berger, an openly gay academic who formerly worked for the Vatican, said the number of gay men working in the Catholic Church was well above average – even more so in the papal state. ‘In the Vatican, I experienced the number of gay men to be even higher,’ he said in an interview with German magazine Stern. ‘I guess around half [of the men working there].’

In the interview, Berger also said employing gay men worked ‘exceptionally well’ as they guilt-trip themselves into being better priests. ‘On one hand it’s down to homosexuality being demonized in the Church. It’s a very severe sin,’ he said. On the other hand, the image of a celibate priest, who is never questioned about not having a wife, was very attractive for gay men, Berger continued, as they wouldn’t have to explain themselves and wouldn’t be bothered into marriage. ‘So you have the advantage of having many gay men with a guilty conscience. They do their best to be especially smart, loyal to the pope and hard working,’ he said. ‘Which is why they have the best chances for a career and, through this, get into the Vatican. There, they find a network of gay men in which people help each other out.’

Berger also said the biggest rule in the Vatican was while people could have gay sex, in public they should always remain true to the Church’s principles and not talk about it. ‘I think that may be down to being gay being an important apparatus of power,’ Berger told the Stern. ‘After a coming out, those in power don’t have anything left with which to hold you down. That’s a disaster beyond all expectations.’

David Berger worked as an academic at the Pontifical Academy of St Thomas Aquinas in Vatican City; when he came out as gay, he was forced to leave.

Source: GayStarNews.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Polish church suspends priest who is gay and has boyfriend
21 October 2015

WARSAW, Poland (AP) -- A Polish priest who lost his job at the Vatican earlier this month after revealing that he is gay and has a boyfriend was indefinitely suspended Wednesday by the church in Poland from performing the functions of a priest.

Rev. Krzysztof Charamsa, 43, came out as gay and criticized the Vatican for its approach to homosexuality on the eve of a major meeting of world bishops in Rome. The Vatican immediately fired him from his job with the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith and his local bishop in Poland, which is predominantly Roman Catholic, called on him to return to proper priestly behavior.

On Wednesday, Charamsa's home diocese of Pelplin, based in Gdansk, said he hadn't shown any signs of improvement and has been suspended as a priest and can no longer wear priestly vestments. It said in a statement that the punishment can be reversed if Charamsa returns to the "true teaching of the church and Christ's priesthood."

"The penalty is intended to inspire in ... Charamsa a real improvement of life and it can be reversed. That depends, however, on the future comportment of the above mentioned priest," according to the statement posted on the diocese website. It said that in the Catholic Church a suspension is intended to make the person "come to his senses."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

Gay priest decries 'inhuman' treatment of homosexual Catholics
By Caroline Wyatt
28 October 2015

A senior Vatican priest, stripped of his post after admitting being in a gay relationship, has launched a scathing attack on the Roman Catholic Church.

In a letter to Pope Francis this month, Krzysztof Charamsa accused the Church of making the lives of millions of gay Catholics globally "a hell". He criticised what he called the Vatican's hypocrisy in banning gay priests, even though he said the clergy was "full of homosexuals". Pope Francis has yet to respond.

Until 3 October, Monsignor Charamsa held a senior post at the Vatican at the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the department that upholds Roman Catholic doctrine. The Vatican immediately stripped him of his post after he held a news conference in a restaurant in Rome to announce that he was both gay and in a relationship. Roman Catholic priests are meant to be celibate. At the time, the Holy See said the priest's decision to come out on the eve of the Vatican's synod on the family had been "irresponsible, since it aims to subject the synod assembly to undue media pressure".

The Polish priest has released to the BBC a copy of the letter he sent to the Pope, written the same day as the announcement, in which he criticises the Church for "persecuting" and causing "immeasurable suffering" to homosexual Catholics and their families. He says that after a "long and tormented period of discernment and prayer", he had taken the decision to "publicly reject the violence of the Church towards homosexual, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual and intersexual people".

The 43-year-old says that while the Roman Catholic clergy is "full of homosexuals", it is also "frequently violently homophobic", and he calls on "all gay cardinals, gay bishops and gay priests [to] have the courage to abandon this insensitive, unfair and brutal Church".

He says he can no longer bear the "homophobic hate of the Church, the exclusion, the marginalisation and the stigmatisation of people like me", whose "human rights are denied" by the Church. The priest goes on to thank Pope Francis - who is thought to have a more lenient attitude on homosexuality than some of his predecessors - for some of his words and gestures towards gay people.

The Pope recently met a gay former student of his during his recent visit to the US, and has previously said that gay people should not be marginalised in society. But Krzysztof Charamsa says that the pontiff's words will only be worthwhile when all the statements from the Holy See that are offensive and violent against homosexuals are withdrawn.

He also urged the Church to annul a decision taken by his predecessor, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, to sign a document in 2005 that forbids men with deep-rooted homosexual tendencies from becoming priests. The Polish priest terms "diabolical" Pope Benedict's statement that homosexuality was "a strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil".

The priest writes that LGBT Catholics have a right to family life, "even if the Church does not want to bless it". He later criticises the Vatican for putting pressure on states which have legalised equal or same-sex marriage. He also expresses his fears about the impact his coming out may have on the treatment of his mother in Poland, "a woman of unshakeable faith", saying she bears no responsibility for his actions.

The synod ended on Sunday, but made no change to its pastoral attitude to gay Catholics. The final document agreed by the Synod Fathers reiterated Church teaching that gay Catholics should be welcomed with "respect" and "dignity". But it restated that there was "no basis for any comparison, however remote, between homosexual unions and God's design for marriage and the family".

The synod voted through a paragraph saying that it was unacceptable for pressure to be put upon local churches over their attitude towards same-sex unions, or for international organisations to make financial help contingent on poor countries introducing laws to "allow or institutionalise" marriage between people of the same sex.

Source: BBC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:58 am 
Site Admin

Gay priest fired by Vatican describes 'special homophobia'
5 November 2015
By HERNAN MUNOZ and ALAN CLENDENNING

In this Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2015 photo, Monsignor Krzysztof Charamsa poses for a photo ahead of an interview with The Associated Press in Barcelona, Spain. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) -- The Polish monsignor who came out as gay and was fired by the Vatican just before a meeting of bishops about outreach to gays, divorcees and more traditional Catholic families says that a "special kind of homophobia" exists among priests, because those who are homosexual are forced to hate themselves.

Krzysztof Charamsa told The Associated Press in an interview that he hopes more priests will come out "to destroy the code of silence in the church." "Many priests, many bishops, many persons in Catholic clergy are gay, are homosexual people," Charamsa said. "With sensitivity of homosexuals. But they must hate themselves."

Charamsa was a mid-level official in the Vatican's doctrine office who came out in interviews in Italian and Polish media last month a day before the bishops met, saying he was happy and proud to be a gay priest and in love with his boyfriend. In firing Charamsa, the Vatican cited the timing of his announcement as "very serious and irresponsible, since it aims to subject the synod assembly to undue media pressure."

Charamsa's home diocese of Pelplin, based in Gdansk, subsequently suspended him as a priest and said he could no longer wear priestly vestments. But Charamsa, who now lives with his boyfriend in Barcelona, described himself in the interview as "a happy gay priest." "And I can say it with transparency, with all my truth," he added. "We fought this horrible lying of my Church, of the Vatican. And as for the Vatican I think their first reaction was panic. Panic and automatic elimination of this man. In one moment I was out from the Vatican."

Source: AP.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

New book alleges gay sex in Vatican dorm, shady banking
By NICOLE WINFIELD
9 November 2017

ROME (AP) -- The Italian journalist who was put on trial by the Vatican for publishing confidential documents has written a new book alleging a host of Catholic sins, including gay sex in the Vatican's youth seminary.

Gianluigi Nuzzi's "Original Sin" went on sale Thursday. At a news conference, Nuzzi said his lawyers had hand-delivered a copy to the Vatican's criminal prosecutor, saying at least one of the seminarians was a minor at the time of the alleged escapades. The Vatican didn't immediately comment.

The book reproduces documents from the Vatican's scandal-marred bank, showing multi-million-dollar accounts in the names of Popes Paul VI and John Paul II and their private secretaries. And it alleges that hidden powers in the Vatican were blocking the reforms of Pope Francis and his predecessor, Benedict XVI. The book delves into the case of one of the Vatican's biggest mysteries, the 1983 disappearance of Emanuela Orlandi, the 15-year-old daughter of a Vatican employee.

And it gathers together years of exposes into the gay subculture of the Vatican. The new claims concern the Vatican's St. Pius X pre-seminary for middle and high schoolers who are considering a possible vocation to the priesthood. Nuzzi reproduces a letter and testimony from a gay ex-seminarian who recounted how an adult, now a priest, used to come into his dorm room and have oral sex with his roommate. The book reproduces a 2014 letter from the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith to the ex-seminarian, saying it had determined that no sexual abuse of a minor had occurred but that it was referring the case to the Vatican's office for clergy. Nuzzi told reporters Thursday that the roommate was indeed younger than 18 when the encounters began. Neither the roommate nor the priest were identified.

Nuzzi and fellow journalist Emmanuele Fittipaldi were put on trial in a Vatican court in 2015 after both published books based on leaked documents that exposed greed, mismanagement and corruption at the highest levels of the Catholic Church. In July 2016, after an eight-month trial, the Vatican's criminal court declared that it had no jurisdiction to prosecute them. The court did, however, convict two other people for conspiring to leak the documents, and absolved a third.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Roman Catholic Church in Italy defends ordaining seminarian in gay sex probe
14 November 2017

VATICAN CITY (AP) -- An Italian diocese is defending its decision to ordain a seminarian accused in a book and an investigative TV report of having engaged in gay sex with a fellow teenager while both studied at the Vatican's youth seminary.

A statement Tuesday from the diocese of Como said church superiors had investigated claims against the seminarian and determined that he was worthy of being ordained a priest. It said church authorities in Rome had given him a "positive" evaluation.

Italian journalist Gianluigi Nuzzi revealed the case of the unnamed seminarian in his new book "Original Sin." This weekend, investigative TV report "Le Iene" (The Hyenas) interviewed the alleged object of the seminarian's advances. He said the seminarian, who was a year older, would come into his dorm at night for sex.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Gay sex confirmed at Vatican junior seminary
20 November 2017

Vatican City (ANSA) - A new probe into alleged gay sex at a Vatican junior seminary that supplied altar boys to St Peter's has found evidence that there were homosexual acts between boys of the same age, but no paedophilia, the Vatican said at the weekend.

The probe came after journalist Gianluigi Nuzzi reported on the case in his new book Original Sin and after TV show Le Iene interviewed one of the alleged participants who is now a priest. The Vatican said an initial probe in 2013 was carried out by the heads of the Pio X preseminary and the Archbishop of Como based on complaints "relating to previous years and which allegedly involved boys of the same age", but the complaints did not "find adequate conformation".

But in the light of the new revelations, the Vatican said, a new probe has been opened "to shed full light on what happened".

Source: ANSA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9